389-ds versus openldap2

Hello,

since SLES15 is the directory server 398-ds the new standard, openldap2 is still available in SLE-Module-Legacy but shall not be maintained during the whole lifecycle of SLES15.

Renewing some customer systems which make use of openldap2-server I am trying to use 389-ds instead. Installed the package 389-ds works fine.

But then the process stops. There is no client package (389-admin, 389-console)?

I found no information within the SLES15 docs regarding 389-ds or for the migration (data and handling) from openldap2 to 389-ds.

I searched in the web for first experiences for 389-ds on SLES15 but did not found useful hints.

Is somebody here with some experience to use 389-ds instead of openldap2 on top of SLES15? Or can someone point me the documentation (or do I have to use redhat documenation)?

Regards,

Uwe

[QUOTE=uhering;58228]Hello,

since SLES15 is the directory server 398-ds the new standard, openldap2 is still available in SLE-Module-Legacy but shall not be maintained during the whole lifecycle of SLES15.

Renewing some customer systems which make use of openldap2-server I am trying to use 389-ds instead. Installed the package 389-ds works fine.

But then the process stops. There is no client package (389-admin, 389-console)?

I found no information within the SLES15 docs regarding 389-ds or for the migration (data and handling) from openldap2 to 389-ds.

I searched in the web for first experiences for 389-ds on SLES15 but did not found useful hints.

Is somebody here with some experience to use 389-ds instead of openldap2 on top of SLES15? Or can someone point me the documentation (or do I have to use redhat documenation)?

Regards,

Uwe[/QUOTE]

Have you seen http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/howto/quickstart.html ? It’s a quick start guide that’s been put together by someone from SUSE.

HTH.

Hello Simon,

I had found this website, but it is quite generic. E.g. for SLES15 it stopps on the very first page in the “Our commands”-section, because the mentioned main command tools dsctl, dsconf and dsidm are not part of SLES15.

Dunno whether it is different on openSUSE (which is mentioned there), but SLES should have some doc, some hints, some client tools to support such a major change from openldap2 to 389-ds.

I will further search to get into the topic, depending on how much time it will take a switch back to openldap2 may be an option.

May be too early for a final conclusion, but this change does not seem to be well done.

Regards,

Uwe