Are there different SDKs out there?

Gonna make a disclaimer first: I’m a super newbie guy who’s trying to learn about installing and using SLES.

So I’m trying to install Apache onto SLES 11 SP3, and it requires SSL/TLS toolkit. Solution was that I’m missing ‘libopenssl_devel’ package.

Looking around I found this thread (https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?2861-SLES-11-sp3-sp2-32-bit-devel-packages-missing) which specifies that the packages I want are located in the SDK.

So I downloaded the SDK from the download site here (using the correct SDK version - SLES SDK 11 SP3) and burned it to a disk. Loaded the new repository into Yast2, but I still don’t see the devel package.

Where did my mistake come in?

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
So which SDK did you download (as in the full name of the iso image)?

As long it was DVD1 was also of the correct arch(x86_64 etc), you can just use the iso image (via YaST Software Repositories and add), no need to burn to a disk…

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;40391]Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
So which SDK did you download (as in the full name of the iso image)?

As long it was DVD1 was also of the correct arch(x86_64 etc), you can just use the iso image (via YaST Software Repositories and add), no need to burn to a disk…[/QUOTE]

There weren’t any trouble getting YaST to accept the SDK repository. It was that certain packages that were expected to be in SDK, such as ‘libopenssl_devel’, were not in the SDK.

Yup it was Disk 1 (Not the source code), and it was x86_64 arch. I just didn’t see the packages i expected to see

Hi
So it’s all enabled (as in the repo) and in yaST Software Management you
can see it in the drop down list top left?

If you search on openssl, do you see in the list?

Is the system registered and subscribed to the update repositories, if
so did it add the SLE SDK online repositories?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;40395]Hi
So it’s all enabled (as in the repo) and in yaST Software Management you
can see it in the drop down list top left?
[/QUOTE]

Yup enabled and refresh set

Nope ‘libopenssl_devel’ does not appear. There is ‘openssl’ package.
The reason i’m looking for ‘libopenssl_devel’ is cos i read that ‘openssl_devel’ (in SLES 10) was repackaged to ‘libopenssl_devel’.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;40395]Is the system registered and subscribed to the update repositories, if
so did it add the SLE SDK online repositories?[/QUOTE]

I don’t have internet connection for this particular machine; hence i had to download the SDK as a disk

Hi
Can you reach this download of libopenssl-devel (not libopenssl_devel)?
https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=0C9rLzKaSkk~

Yes, except that my openssl version is 0.9.8 (plus a bunch of other version numbers, i forgot - but i do remember a ‘j’ in the build number).

Would getting the 1.0.2 verison cause an issue?

Hi
More than likely, if you look at the changelog for the release many
security fixes are backported so version numbers don’t necessarily mean
things are old…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Well apparently the issue was a lot more basic; the OS installer disk given to me was for a 32bit OS. So all this discussion is moot to begin with. The guy who delivered the disk thought that i586 was the 64 bit OS.
Anyway thanks for all the help you provided so far.