How do we partitioning a hard drive using evms

hi

i want to know how can we partition a harddrive using evms.

kindly let me know

Regards

Naresh

EVMS was an often-used option in SLES 10 days, but I do not believe it is
used much in SLES 11 anymore, and I have never seen it used on SLED. Even
on SLES 11, LVM technologies have replaced EVMS and generally there is
little (if any) support for EVMS still.

If you really want to tinker with it, go find SLES 10 media and you can
probably do it there. Otherwise, post a business case for wanting to use
it in case we can help solve your real technical issue using current
technologies.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=ab;14720]EVMS was an often-used option in SLES 10 days, but I do not believe it is
used much in SLES 11 anymore…[/QUOTE]

EVMS is indeed a dead project (IBM, the one developing EVMS, dropped it back in 2006)… LVM is the way to go, and if you like cutting edge, BTRFS is the new up and coming technology. That last one is not a recommended option (in my mind) when running SLES 11 (which does preview it since SP2). BTRFS is interesting to use/study on less critical systems if you are looking at openSUSE 12.3 or later.

For SLES11, LVM (LVM2 to be exact) is the proven volume/storage management system.

Cheers,
Willem

[QUOTE=Magic31;14733]EVMS is indeed a dead project (IBM, the one developing EVMS, dropped it back in 2006)… LVM is the way to go, and if you like cutting edge, BTRFS is the new up and coming technology. That last one is not a recommended option (in my mind) when running SLES 11 (which does preview it since SP2). BTRFS is interesting to use/study on less critical systems if you are looking at openSUSE 12.3 or later.

For SLES11, LVM (LVM2 to be exact) is the proven volume/storage management system.

Cheers,
Willem[/QUOTE]

hi all,

Thanks for the reply.

but i am using novell eDirectory in sles10 for that we need a partition like evms

if we partitioning a boot partition in evms we can create nss pools in th boot partition itself,otherwise we must add an additional harddisk.

i dont know the evms partition practically .

if you have any documents kindly upload.

Regards

Naresh

Hey Naresh,

Ah, that clarifies… :slight_smile:

Just use ‘nssmu’ on the server console or use iManager to manage the storage. Both methods will handle the needed EVMS partitioning for you & I’d stay clear of using the evms tool to manage partitions on an OES server.

The nssmu utility has my preference. As added note, if you are connecting to the server console using Putty, take note of the Putty settings for the keyboard FN/function keys (in the Terminal > Keyboard section of the Putty settings). You might need to set it to VT100+ to get the some of the FN keys to work as intended (for example, with the default Putty settings, F3 will go back a screen (as if ESC was pressed) instead of running the needed operation.

Cheers,
Willem

Hey reverse,

OES2/SLES10 is very nearly end of life (days away)!

Please use OES11 SP1 and your problem will then disappear as OES11 uses NLVM as a replacement for EVMS, and you can then add NSS pools to your normal OS disk with no issues.

Good point Mark… With OES2 it can/could also be done, but requires to either correctly partition the primary disk device during setup or follow these steps : https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/stor_nss_lx/data/bujanis.html

Cheers,
Willem

On 24/07/2013 07:44, Magic31 wrote:
[color=blue]

Ah, that clarifies… :)[/color]

It does? “novell eDirectory in sles10” is not the same as OES2 (on SLES10).

SLES10 does not require EVMS in order to install eDirectory but OES2
does require EVMS in order to add an NSS pool to the system device
(which has Linux partitions).

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

Do you work with SUSE technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.

True, yet following the thread & knowing OES Linux often gets referred to as/mixed up with SLES when system administration tasks come in play… I’m reading it as SLES with OES on top. :slight_smile: For me that does clarify it. Although I can imagine this reply does not… :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,
Willem