How to remember previous login session

I am pretty inexperienced with Linux, so please be patient with me…

I have just set up a new SPES 12 SP2 machine up and when I log on as a normal (non-root) user, it brings up a blank canvas every time. I start a couple of Xterms and YaST and then logout but when it logs back in, it still displays a blank canvas.

Is there any way when I log in that I can get it to reopen the windows that were open when I last logged out?

Many thanks,

Gary

[QUOTE=dn312sr;39188]I am pretty inexperienced with Linux, so please be patient with me…

I have just set up a new SPES 12 SP2 machine up and when I log on as a normal (non-root) user, it brings up a blank canvas every time. I start a couple of Xterms and YaST and then logout but when it logs back in, it still displays a blank canvas.

Is there any way when I log in that I can get it to reopen the windows that were open when I last logged out?

Many thanks,

Gary[/QUOTE]
Hi
Sounds like you running ICEwm? A right click on the desktop shows a menu system? So you physically at the machine when you login, not remotely via something like VNC?

If ICEwm, then you normally would create a shell script to start things up in a file called ~/.icewm/startup (~/ = your user home directory)

Thanks for the reply Malcolm. Yes, I am running icewm.

What commands will I need to put in the startup file in order to get icewm to remember my previous session?

Cheers,

Gary

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;39195]Hi
Sounds like you running ICEwm? A right click on the desktop shows a menu system? So you physically at the machine when you login, not remotely via something like VNC?

If ICEwm, then you normally would create a shell script to start things up in a file called ~/.icewm/startup (~/ = your user home directory)[/QUOTE]

Hi
Just the apps you want to run with an ampersand (detach/background), for example

#!/bin/bash

# Xterm 1
xterm &

# Xterm 2
xterm &

You would need to add additional switches for size, location on the screen etc. But these will be fresh apps since if you logout everything is shutdown…

Hi Malcolm,

Brilliant! That did the trick nicely!

Many thanks,

Gary

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;39211]Hi
Just the apps you want to run with an ampersand (detach/background), for example

#!/bin/bash

# Xterm 1
xterm &

# Xterm 2
xterm &

You would need to add additional switches for size, location on the screen etc. But these will be fresh apps since if you logout everything is shutdown…[/QUOTE]