Inconsistency in repo: libEMF missing in SLE-11-SDK-SP3

Hello,

the 32bit version of pstoedit requires libEMF.so.1, which is listed in the repodata/pattern.xml, but the real package is missing.
Interestingly the 64bit Version of pstoedit has no dependency to libEMF.so.1.
I found the libEMF package in the SDK-SP1 updates and it works for me, but it seems the SP3 (32bit) is not consistent in its package
dependencies and the Repo metadata!

Best Regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

do you experience any actual problem during installation? SP3 repositories are used in addition to the SP2 and SP1 repositories, so your system should be able to resolve the RPM’s location.

Regards,
Jens

Hello Jens,

I use a private instance of open buildservice with an SLE-11-SP3 Repository.
This Repository consists of all rpms found at the SLES11-SP3/SLE11-SDK -SP3-ISOs.
The dependency of the pstoedit.rpm is not resolvable in this set of rpms. So I looked at the updates and found the same
pstoedit.rpm there (SLE11-SDK-SP3-Pool) but also no libEMF.rpm.
The installation ended up with missing pattern installed and a message in /var/log/y2log-1:
2013-08-29 02:22:45 <1> 10.0.2.15(3542) [zypp] SATResolver.cc(problems):1090 libEMF.so.1, benötigt von pstoedit-3.45-1.31.i586, wird von keinem Repository angeboten

I assumed that when I start with the SP3 ISOs I have SP1 and SP2 included, but this is not the case.
The question is, if this is an error, or I have to consider all SPs. This would be no problem for me, but
I wonder why are there SP3 ISOs…

Best Regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

[QUOTE=osw1;15599]Hello Jens,

I use a private instance of open buildservice with an SLE-11-SP3 Repository.
This Repository consists of all rpms found at the SLES11-SP3/SLE11-SDK -SP3-ISOs.
The dependency of the pstoedit.rpm is not resolvable in this set of rpms. So I looked at the updates and found the same
pstoedit.rpm there (SLE11-SDK-SP3-Pool) but also no libEMF.rpm.
The installation ended up with missing pattern installed and a message in /var/log/y2log-1:
2013-08-29 02:22:45 <1> 10.0.2.15(3542) [zypp] SATResolver.cc(problems):1090 libEMF.so.1, benötigt von pstoedit-3.45-1.31.i586, wird von keinem Repository angeboten

I assumed that when I start with the SP3 ISOs I have SP1 and SP2 included, but this is not the case.
The question is, if this is an error, or I have to consider all SPs. This would be no problem for me, but
I wonder why are there SP3 ISOs…

Best Regards,
Oliver[/QUOTE]

I see the point you’re making: if you have only the SP3 DVD, running offline, your set is incomplete. That’ll be something I will forward to my Novell contacts.

Usually, when you install the SDK (as an add-on product), with online connectivity, you’ll get the SP1 & SP2 repositories added to your list of active repositories, too. That way, such an installation would have access to that missing package.

I’ll report back once I have received feedback from Suse.

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens,

great, thank you!

Regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

while we’re waiting for an “official reply”: Since there probably will be no update to the installation media (at least I’ve never seen one over the years, and it does make sense in terms of reliability), your best bet is to include the update repositories as well.

But I’m sure you already went with that ;), this is “just for the records” (and for others running across this thread).

Regards,
Jens

Hi Oliver,

the reply I’ve received made the point that the SDK isn’t for SLES only, but provided across the SLE family of products. Not everything from the SDK is intended for all products, so in i.e. your case it may well be possible that the required lib is part of the base install of SLED, but not available for SLES. You may as well run across a situation that is the other way around, too, when trying to install some SDK RPM intended for SLES on a SLED host.

I’v been told that per such definition, it is not considered a bug. And no, I have not been told how to identify which SDK packages are for SLES/SLED/both.

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens,

I am still grining about the definition :wink: , but I see their point. And well, inkscape, which is the source of the problem, is probably
not meant for a server installation (but it has a nice commandline interface).
Nevertheless, I get along with it and use the package(s) from the SP1 update repository.
Thank you!

Regards, Oliver