ISO of current SLED 11S P1

Users say about testring migration to new packs first from virtual machines.

The question is (sorry, if this ussue has already been covered in Novell guides )
how to boot your FULL CURRENT system SLED 11 SP 1 from eg. VirtualBox?

Thanks

Well you’d have to clone your physical machine in to a disk image which VirtualBox or whatever virtualisation software you’re using can use. Google is your friend on that.

I’m curious as to why it is you want to do this. If you have multiple machines to deal with then I can see why you’d want to do some testing of the update process on one of them before doing it on all of them. But if you have multiple machines then there’s only any point in going to such effort of testing if the machines are all identical. If they’re not all identical then what you learn from testing the update on one of them is of limited value when it comes to doing the others. If they are all identical, then you must surely have an automated install procedure to achieve that so why not just use that to install a virtual machine?

All the machines I manage are identical in terms of packages and configuration and the installation is automated using AutoYaST. So if I wanted to test something like a service pack update in a virtual environment so I could roll back the machine to a previous state and try again if it went wrong, I’d create a new virtual machine and install it from scratch using AutoYaST the same as I would if I were installing a physical machine. I wouldn’t try and clone an existing physical machine and make a virtual machine out of it because that would be pointlessly complicated.

[QUOTE=LLiner;2800]Users say about testring migration to new packs first from virtual machines.

The question is (sorry, if this ussue has already been covered in Novell guides )
how to boot your FULL CURRENT system SLED 11 SP 1 from eg. VirtualBox?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You can install Oracle’s VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/
SLED’s installation will be straightforward, just point to SLED installation image (no need to burn it to DVD).

Thanks, Mike,

Just for the worse-case update scenario ‘completely break your system’ (http://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?717-Unsupported-packages-in-mirgation-to-SLED-11-SP2&p=2801#post2801). I saw many alarming posts earlier describing previous SLED packages upgrade. I also experienced problems with sound loss after updating separate libraries.
My point was to preserve a stable package with operating multimedia for such a scenario.(Like I still have a working Windows98 on another laptop).

Now I become curios, if others -I previously thought - more experienced forumers used to test new software in VMs?
I do not think they like me had no roll back practice. For me, it comprises figuring out last installed packages in
NORMALLY OPERATING system and deleting them.
I did not know that the same can by applied for the system upgrade.

Here I may agree with you.

Cheers
Lliner

Thank you, Alex.

[QUOTE=AlexDudko;2811] 1) You can install Oracle’s VirtualBox …
2) just point to SLED installation image .[/QUOTE]

1. Already passed this way.
  2. Do you mean the standard package? This is not I am looking around.
    I want to back up my working SLED with all updates done.
    For this purpose I wread SLED guide on KIWI, but so far have no a clear vision of the process to burn My_system.iso.

Regards.

You can also try to use autoYaST.
Anyway I’d suggest to backup your data and do a normal update. If something goes critically wrong you could simply reinstall the system.

Thank you. But I’m afraid I cannot apply it as I have debuginfor packages installed (Release notes,sec.6.2.4).

[QUOTE=AlexDudko;2820]Anyway I’d suggest to backup your data and do a normal update. If something goes critically wrong you could simply reinstall the system.[/QUOTE] Do you mean 1)my data - all /home data? 2) reinstall from the backup or from the installation disc (SP1 or SP2)?

[QUOTE=LLiner;2829]Thank you. But I’m afraid I cannot apply it as I have debuginfor packages installed (Release notes,sec.6.2.4).
Do you mean 1)my data - all /home data? 2) reinstall from the backup or from the installation disc (SP1 or SP2)?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if there’s really a serious problem during upgrade your data will be safe.
Reinstall only if there’s an upgrade problem and there’s no other way to make your system work again or it will be the fastest and the easiest way.