Need to install tomcat 8.5.40

Hi,

I need to install tomcat at 8.5.40, or higher, on my SLES 12 SP3 system (running on System z) as that release is required for the version of WebFOCUS, 8206, that a user has installed. I checked the maintenance files on the SUSE web site and it appears that only 8.0.54 is available for SLES 12 SP3. I realize that if I install a more current release I will be running unsupported (SLES 12 SP3 is already running unsupported).

What are my options for obtaining and installing a more current release of tomcat? We aren’t in a position to upgrade to SLES 12 SP4 at this time.

Is there a way to download a version from SUSE (for System z) or do I have to download from tomcat.apache.org? If I have to download from the apache site, do I have to download the source files and compile? I haven’t done anything like this before so I appreciate as much guidance as you can provide.

Harley

[QUOTE=x0500hl;58275]Hi,

I need to install tomcat at 8.5.40, or higher, on my SLES 12 SP3 system (running on System z) as that release is required for the version of WebFOCUS, 8206, that a user has installed. I checked the maintenance files on the SUSE web site and it appears that only 8.0.54 is available for SLES 12 SP3. I realize that if I install a more current release I will be running unsupported (SLES 12 SP3 is already running unsupported).

What are my options for obtaining and installing a more current release of tomcat? We aren’t in a position to upgrade to SLES 12 SP4 at this time.

Is there a way to download a version from SUSE (for System z) or do I have to download from tomcat.apache.org? If I have to download from the apache site, do I have to download the source files and compile? I haven’t done anything like this before so I appreciate as much guidance as you can provide.

Harley[/QUOTE]
Hi Harley
Probably the easiest unsupported way would be to grab the SLES 12 SP4 Tomcat src rpm and rebuild that… impact unsure as there may be further dependencies required.
https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=4Z3LKj3FBlk~

Rebuilding the src rpm’s is pretty straight forward, for example (Note always as rebuild as your user, not root!);

rpmbuild --rebuild  tomcat-9.0.21-3.13.2.src.rpm

This will create a ~/rpmbuild directory with all the necessary source files, spec file, patches etc. You would also need to ensure you have the development pattern installed as well as any build requires (see the tomcat.spec file down in the rpmbuild directory) and the likes of rpmbuild, make gcc etc.

If all goes well, in the output you will see where the resultant rpms are which can be installed by root user…

Thank you Malcolm. I will try that later this week, hopefully.

Harley

Unfortunately, I am not able to download the file(s) at the link you provided. It is a restricted download and the web site says that I don’t have the authority. This is either because I don’t have SLES 12 SP4 installed yet (and haven’t downloaded it -or - it is because we get our support from IBM and not from SUSE.

Harley

[QUOTE=x0500hl;58280]Unfortunately, I am not able to download the file(s) at the link you provided. It is a restricted download and the web site says that I don’t have the authority. This is either because I don’t have SLES 12 SP4 installed yet (and haven’t downloaded it -or - it is because we get our support from IBM and not from SUSE.

Harley[/QUOTE]
Hi
Ahh, well you could always create your own SUSE account and take advantage of the one year free developer SLES license?