Re-installing when System Crashes

I am working on some application where i need save the system state configuration files. So i want to save(Backup) it some where in the hard disk partition(as hidden or recovery partition) Whenever system crashes i can restore it. When System Crashes is it possible not to touch that partition while re-installing linux suse and the files are still be available when the system is ready

vishnusangam wrote:
[color=blue]

I am working on some application where i need save the system state
configuration files. So i want to save(Backup) it some where in the
hard disk partition(as hidden or recovery partition) Whenever system
crashes i can restore it. When System Crashes is it possible not to
touch that partition while re-installing linux suse and the files are
still be available when the system is ready[/color]

There are several ways you can do this:

If you have the ability to take a snapshot of the system before you
start working on your application, you can simply restore the snapshot
and revert back to the same state as when the snapshot was taken.

If your hard drive has sufficient capacity and your Linux installation
consists of a single disk partition, you can copy the whole partition
to another partition then copy it back when you need to restore it.

You could bacup your installation to a second (external?) drive.

If you have to do a clean install of your system, you want to make sure
you don’t delete any partitions on your hard drive you may need. That’s
why using a second hard drive for backup is a good idea.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
Thank you.

[QUOTE=KBOYLE;36367]vishnusangam wrote:
[color=blue]

I am working on some application where i need save the system state
configuration files. So i want to save(Backup) it some where in the
hard disk partition(as hidden or recovery partition) Whenever system
crashes i can restore it. When System Crashes is it possible not to
touch that partition while re-installing linux suse and the files are
still be available when the system is ready[/color]

There are several ways you can do this:

If you have the ability to take a snapshot of the system before you
start working on your application, you can simply restore the snapshot
and revert back to the same state as when the snapshot was taken.

If your hard drive has sufficient capacity and your Linux installation
consists of a single disk partition, you can copy the whole partition
to another partition then copy it back when you need to restore it.

You could bacup your installation to a second (external?) drive.

If you have to do a clean install of your system, you want to make sure
you don’t delete any partitions on your hard drive you may need. That’s
why using a second hard drive for backup is a good idea.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much kevin :wink: :slight_smile:
I am new linux so if the file system is corrupt or if the we do clean install of our system the partition will go off right?
we have written code for saving backups in USB drive and DVD but the requirement is to Store in the single hard drive and to retrieve when required(even if the system crashes)

[QUOTE=vishnusangam;36387]—
Thank you so much kevin :wink: :slight_smile:
I am new linux so if the file system is corrupt or if the we do clean install of our system the partition will go off right?[/QUOTE]
It depends on how your system is configured and how you reinstall. When you install, you can delete all the existing partitions on the disk or, using advanced configuration, you can control which partitions are deleted and created.

To help you with this, we need some more information and you need to learn more about Linux.

You have asked for help in the SUSE® Linux* Enterprise Desktop forum so I assume we are talking about the Desktop product.
Is that correct?

The documentation is a good place to begin to learn what options you have. You can find information about the current SLED release here: SUSE® Linux* Enterprise Desktop 12 SP2.

Do you already have SLED installed? It would be helpful to know what version you have.
Please run this command and post the results.

cat /etc/*release

Can you provide more information about the kind of failures you want to recover from? For example,
[LIST]
[]If the system crashes, you may not need to do a recovery. You may only need to restart the system.
[
]If the hard drive dies or becomes corrupted, it may not be possible to recover any data that is stored on the drive.
[/LIST]

I am about my workstation by this week can i get the any information about the re-installation process with the previous partition step by step. and i am expected to get version 11.
Thank you so much

[QUOTE=vishnusangam;36434]—
I am about my workstation by this week can i get the any information about the re-installation process with the previous partition step by step. and i am expected to get version 11.
Thank you so much[/QUOTE]

one more doubt we have PCIe ports in workstation where we can have SSDs in it. I can use PCIe to USB adapter(converter) and use my USB storage devices… MY question is will it detect or not.

vishnusangam wrote:
[color=blue]

one more doubt we have PCIe ports in workstation where we can have
SSDs in it. I can use PCIe to USB adapter(converter) and use my USB
storage devices… MY question is will it detect or not.[/color]

Why do you want to do this?

PCIe is a high speed internal bus. If you have an external drive with a
USB interface, why don’t you just connect it to a USB port?

Thank you.

vishnusangam wrote:
[color=blue]

I am about my workstation by this week can i get the any information
about the re-installation process with the previous partition step by
step. and i am expected to get version 11.
Thank you so much[/color]

Hi vishnusangam,

I’m sorry. I can’t provide step by step instructions. Any time you
modify disk partitions, there is a risk of data loss if you make a
mistake. Make sure you have a backup on another device before you make
any changes.

Please read the documentation:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP4
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled11/index.html

This part of the documentation discusses disk partitions:
Using the YaST Partitioner
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled11/book_sle_deployment/data/sec_yast2_i_y2_part_expert.html

Thank you.

vishnusangam wrote:
[color=blue]

and i am expected to get version 11.[/color]

May I ask why you chose SLE 11 and not SLE 12?

Thank you.

i want some small amount of storage like 16 - 32gb for backup that is not disturbed. if the PCIe supports adapter like this( http://www.amazon.in/amiciKart-Express-Ports-Connector-Desktop/dp/B01MSUWNKV?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=534b0c63-0127-4aee-9fa7-b341373fa114). I can attach my USB storage inside my workstation and it will there for permanent.
Please help me will it support or not. Or do i need any device drivers for those

Why i chose USB converter is i will not get low profile SSD for PCIe slots converter makes easy for me

Thank you

i am not 100% sure about the version i may get SLE 12

vishnusangam wrote:
[color=blue]

i am not 100% sure about the version i may get SLE 12[/color]

I would recommend you go with SLE 12 as it is the current release.

Check the documentation and read about snapshots. Snapshots may be a
simple and effecient way to do the kinds of recoveries you want.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=vishnusangam;36483]i want some small amount of storage like 16 - 32gb for backup that is not disturbed. [/QUOTE]Okay.

Your link points to an “amiciKart USB 3.0 PCI-E Express ADD-ON Card with 4 Ports and 5V 4-Pin Power Connector for Desktop PC”. This is an ADD-ON card that would be used to provide USB ports on a system if none existed or additional USB ports if more are needed. It connects to the internal PCIe bus and provides four external USB connections.

[QUOTE]
Please help me will it support or not. Or do i need any device drivers for those

Why i chose USB converter is i will not get low profile SSD for PCIe slots converter makes easy for me

Thank you[/QUOTE]
Many ADD-ON cards like this one do require special drivers. I have not used this device so I don’t know what it needs. If special drivers are needed they are usually supplied with the card. Often, they are Windows drivers and there may not be any Linux drivers available.

I believe there are better options. Most desktop systems support more than one hard drive. Why don’t you install another small capacity HD or SSD?
[LIST]
[]You would have your internal drive.
[
]It would likely connect using a standard SATA interface.
[*]No special drivers would be needed.
[/LIST]

Thank you Kevin for the help it was really helpful from your side i would really be happy to connected with you in future

[QUOTE=KBOYLE;36496]Okay.

Your link points to an “amiciKart USB 3.0 PCI-E Express ADD-ON Card with 4 Ports and 5V 4-Pin Power Connector for Desktop PC”. This is an ADD-ON card that would be used to provide USB ports on a system if none existed or additional USB ports if more are needed. It connects to the internal PCIe bus and provides four external USB connections.

Many ADD-ON cards like this one do require special drivers. I have not used this device so I don’t know what it needs. If special drivers are needed they are usually supplied with the card. Often, they are Windows drivers and there may not be any Linux drivers available.

I believe there are better options. Most desktop systems support more than one hard drive. Why don’t you install another small capacity HD or SSD?
[LIST]
[]You would have your internal drive.
[
]It would likely connect using a standard SATA interface.
[*]No special drivers would be needed.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]

As you suggested
i will be using 2 SATA HDDs one for backup and another as master(main) i got know about partition and mounting process through soe video tutorial . so what if i reinstall the OS which HDD will it choose. can you get more information about how to use one HDD dedicated for backup process

If you reinstall the OS, it will likely choose the same HDD where it was originally installed but during the install you can select a different HDD.
You can also repair the installed OS so you may not need to reinstall it. This is explained in the documentation.

You said you were new to Linux; there is much to learn. The best way to learn about SLED is to read the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP2 documentation. There is a lot to read, I know, but that is because SLED has many features and there are different ways to install and configure it. There are also YouTube videos that can help you learn about SUSE Linux. You may find them helpful.

Please spend some time to learn more about Linux. I will try to help you where I can.

Hello

yesterday i installed SLES 11 sp3 in a Hp z420 with 2 HDD as u said it should ask Which HDD it should be installed and which will as slave but i observed it formatted both the HDDs

[QUOTE=vishnusangam;37121]Hello

yesterday i installed SLES 11 sp3 in a Hp z420 with 2 HDD as u said it should ask Which HDD it should be installed and which will as slave but i observed it formatted both the HDDs[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry the installation did not complete as you expected. Please note: I did not say it would ask; I said you would be able to choose. There is a difference!

When a computer boots from a hard drive, it uses the first one: “HD0”. When you install SLE, it will choose the HDD that will be used to boot the system. That may not be the one you want to use. If you have more than one HDD installed, you can enter the system BIOS to configure which HDD will be used as HD0.

Did you read the SLES 11 Deployment guide?

As you can see, the Installation Settings screen shows what drives will be partitioned.

In the SLES 11 Deployment guide under Installation Settings, Partitioning (Overview) Section 6.11.1 states:

This is where you would change your partitioning setup. Did you just accept the default that was proposed?

Before any changes are made to your disk you must click on the Install button. Once the installation begins, you have missed the opportunity to change the partitioning setup.

I also recommended a few other things:
[LIST]
[]Become more familiar with Linux. It is easy to make mistakes when you are still learning.
[
]Read the documentation. It should provide all the information you need.
[*]I would recommend you go with SLE 12 as it is the current release. SLES 11 SP3 is no longer supported.
[/LIST]

This is the forum for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. In all my previous posts I referred to SLED. What made you decide to install SUSE Linux Enterprise Server?