Recent Maint Installed (14APR19) -- Dual monitor resolution

I just put up maint yesterday and it said I needed to do a reboot.

So I did the reboot this morning. I have been running two monitors of similar size and geometry. So they both ran at the same resolution until after the reboot.

Now the DVI monitor is still at 1920x1080. But the VGA monitor has dropped to 1600x900. So all the FF, Office, etc. displays are there than they are on the DVI monitor because the resolution on the VGA monitor has been lowered. And it is not giving me the option to increase the resolution.

Anyone else noticing anything like this? Or have any idea why this would happen after a reboot for kernel updates?

The video adapter I have is a GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2 with multiple output ports. And I am running a KDE environment.

BTW - The VGA monitor is shared across a KVM switch and W10 has this VGA monitor at a resolution of 1920x1200 (which I think is what SLED had before this maint and reboot).

Hi
Can you check the output from;

xrandr
/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"

Do you see the desired resolution available from the xrandr output, is the nouveau or nvidia driver in the output from the second command?

xrandr shows this and I’m not sure I’m reading the “connected” line correctly:

AMD5995:~> xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3520 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
VGA-0 connected 1600x900+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768      60.00 +
   1600x900      59.82* 
   1400x900      59.88  
   1368x768      59.88    59.85  

Here the response from the next command:

10:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730] [10de:1287] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device [3842:3733]                                                                      
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia                                                                                       
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia        

It looks right to me… But I’m not a cli type of user…

[QUOTE=wylbur;57473]xrandr shows this and I’m not sure I’m reading the “connected” line correctly:

AMD5995:~> xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3520 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
VGA-0 connected 1600x900+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768      60.00 +
   1600x900      59.82* 
   1400x900      59.88  
   1368x768      59.88    59.85  

Here the response from the next command:

10:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730] [10de:1287] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device [3842:3733]                                                                      
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia                                                                                       
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia        

It looks right to me… But I’m not a cli type of user…[/QUOTE]
Hi
So it’s only one monitor connected or two? If you connect the VGA monitor direct, does the resolution return?

There is nothing set in grub, again, open a terminal and check the output from;

cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

If you log out of KDE and from the login GUI select IceWM, run the xrandr command, does the resolution change?

Connect your second monitor with a modern digital, differential signaling solution like HDMI, DVI-D or DisplayPort.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signaling

Respect the maximum length of HDMI, DVI-D or DisplayPort cables.

Avoid analog signaling solution and single-ended signaling solution like VGA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-ended_signaling

=> VGA kills your eyes!

Your KVM disturb DDC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel#Disabling_DDC

One wonders why it waited until now to do this? I’ve been running with this 4 port KVM switch for a few years now.

Meanwhile, in doing tests, I needed to a dreaded reboot and it has taken me a while to get the right combination of recovery points with this UEFI before SLED 15 would read the USB ports so that when it did get far enough to go into graphics mode, my mouse and keyboard would work.

Now I have to go back and fix a Yast problem because of a corrupted file that was part of the check point…

This is starting to get really old.

Booted the Install (Network SLED 15 DVD) and that failed once it loaded because it had no USB devices working (I dunno, it is how I installed SLED15 to start with). So I rebooted it and told it to load the system it found.

Now everything is back to working correctly including the monitor. So I loaded other pending security maint to see if it would work correctly (at one point in trying to get this to boot, it seems the restore boot point I picked had bad maint in it so that Yast was screwed as was zypper).

I wish I had the time to sit down and read everything on commands and the like for SLED but I just don’t.