RMT-Server, can't register client on RMT registration proxy

RMT: SLES 15 SP4 (x86_64)
Client: SLES 15 SP4 (x86_64)

I’ve installed an RMT server here to act as a proxy for other clients, both for registration and as a mirror server.
Unfortunately I already have a problem with registering a client. Neither SUSEConnect nor the ‘rmt-client-setup’ recommended in the manual do what they are supposed to do.

I get the message:

Registering system to register proxy https://susermt.xyzdomain

Announcing system to https://susermt.xyzdomain ...
Your Registration Proxy server doesn't support this function. Please update it and try again.

The status of the client is and remains:

SUSEConnect -s
[{"identifier":"SLES","version":"15.4","arch":"x86_64","status":"Not Registered"},{"identifier":"sle-module-basesystem"," version":"15.4","arch":"x86_64","status":"Not Registered"},{"identifier":"sle-module-server-applications","version":"15.4","arch ":"x86_64","status":"Not Registered"}]

The RMT server itself is well registered:

susermt:~ # SUSEConnect -s
[{"identifier":"sle-module-server-applications","version":"15.4","arch":"x86_64","status":"Registered"},{"identifier":"PackageHub", "version":"15.4","arch":"x86_64","status":"Registered"},{"name":"SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, x86 \u0026 x86-64, 1-2 Sockets with Unlimited Virtual Machines, Standard Subscription, Activation Key","identifier":"SLES","version":"15.4","arch":"x86_64","status":"Registered","regcode":"meowmeowmeow"," starts_at":"2017-01-01 00:00:00 UTC","expires_at":"2023-12-31 00:00:00 UTC","subscription_status":"ACTIVE","type":"full" },{"identifier":"sle-module-basesystem","version":"15.4","arch":"x86_64","status":"Registered"}]

The following packages with an ‘i’ are installed on the RMT server and I have gone through and completed the configuration of the RMT:

Reading installed packages...

S | name | Summary | Type
---+---------------------------------------------- ------+------------------------------------------ --------------+-----------
    | dump-rmt | Provides certain programs with access to remote tape -> | package
    | libqt5-qtstyleplugins-platformtheme-gtk2 | Qt 5 gtk2 plugin | package
    | libqt5-qtstyleplugins-platformtheme-gtk2-debuginfo | Debug information for package libqt5-qtstyleplugins-p-> | package
    | python3-django-formtools | A set of high-level abstractions for Django forms | package
i+ | rmt-server | Repository mirroring tool and registration proxy for -> | package
    | rmt-server | Repository mirroring tool and registration proxy for -> | srcpackage
i | rmt-server-config | RMT default configuration | package
    | star-rmt | Magnetic tape control and server | package
    | tar-rmt | Remote tape drive control server by GNU | package
i | yast2-rmt | YaST2 - Module to configure RMT | package
    | yast2-rmt | YaST2 - Module to configure RMT | srcpackage

Do I need to mirror more than the products here? Aren’t these four enough?:

susermt:~ # rmt-cli products list | grep -i "15 sp4"
| 2299 | Base system modules | 15 SP4 | x86_64 | Mirrors | 2023-01-23 09:43:23 UTC |
| 2307 | Server Application Modules | 15 SP4 | x86_64 | Mirrors | 2023-01-23 09:43:26 UTC |
| 2292 | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server | 15 SP4 | x86_64 | Mirrors | 2023-01-23 09:43:13 UTC |
| 2347 | SUSE Package Hub | 15 SP4 | x86_64 | Mirrors | 2023-01-23 09:43:49 UTC |
susermt:~ #

Firewall is switched off on both sides:

susermt:~ # iptables -S
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT

idmmgt03:~ # iptables -S
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Why isn’t the client registering? What can I do? I hope someone has an idea.

I solved the problem together with SUSE support. I don’t know why, but user:group was not correct for files in directory /usr/share/rmt/config. All files must be owned by _rmt:nginx.

1 Like

Thank you, this does solve the problem for me.

It seems though only /usr/share/rmt/config/secrets.yml.key needs to have above mentioned ownership set.