SLES 10 SP4 kernel-headers

We currently upgraded Sophos AV with on-access scanning to version 9. The previous version (7) supported the kernel in this version of SLES. Now with the Sophos upgrade to version 9, the on-access module (talpa) cannot compile the required module due to missing header files. I cannot find kernel-headers in the SLES 10 SP4 repositories (both Pool and Updates). We have also checked the DVD isos for the possibility of the kernel-headers being located there. The question is: where\how do I obtain the kernel-headers for SLES 10 SP4?

Hi
You need the kernel-source, kernel-syms, linux-kernel-headers, make and
gcc installed for compiling modules. Probably also module-init-tools.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I currently have kernel-source, kernel-syms, make, gcc, and module-init-tools installed but I am unable to find linux-kernel-headers or kernel-headers in the repositories.

Hi
Can you confirm the actual header missing or perhaps post the error
when you try to compile?

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Here is the relevant portion of the log file (talpaselect.log) when Sophos attempts to compile the on-access module:

checking for xargs… /usr/bin/xargs
checking for Talpa version… 1.17.5
checking for operating system… Linux
checking for kernel headers layout… /lib/modules/2.6.16.60-0.91.1-xen/build/include
checking for linux/version.h… configure: error: cannot proceed without the required header file

exc-configure-failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “talpa_select.py”, line 2205, in _action
File “talpa_select.py”, line 962, in select
File “talpa_select.py”, line 1770, in select
File “talpa_select.py”, line 1953, in build
SelectException: exc-configure-failed

Hi
Is there a config.log file as well, it may be the code in it’s ifdef’s
not matching your running kernel.

The config.log may show it’s not actually a kernel related error.

I have not seen a config.log for Sophos. The requirements for the module from Sophos are:

Before you run the installer, to enable it to compile custom kernel modules, you must have the following installed:
The kernel source matching your running kernel (normally accessible from /lib/modules/uname -r/build/)
A system.map file matching your running kernel (normally located in /boot/System.map-uname -r)
GCC and configured development tools, e.g. ‘make’. (The version of GCC must be the same as the one used to compile your kernel.)
Some distributions (such as Debian) provide a kernel-headers package which must also be installed. These distributions also provide all the required kernel sources to compile.

I have compiled the module successfully on many others with these requirements. This is the first issue I have encountered and the first time I have seen headers not provided.