Staging updates/patches locally with Zypper

Hello all,

Is there a way to stage files for installation locally on the server for installation at a later time? My zypper server resides in our central datacentre but we have servers all over, some with very old slow networks. I would like to have my site admins pull from the zypper server and store locally so that when they perform the updates and patches the files are local to their server and not pulling across the WAN. I have consulted many different references locations and did not see any mention of this capability within zypper, I apologize if this is a simple task and I missed in a man page or something.

Hi pzwqty,

[QUOTE=pzwqty;16851]Hello all,

Is there a way to stage files for installation locally on the server for installation at a later time? My zypper server resides in our central datacentre but we have servers all over, some with very old slow networks. I would like to have my site admins pull from the zypper server and store locally so that when they perform the updates and patches the files are local to their server and not pulling across the WAN. I have consulted many different references locations and did not see any mention of this capability within zypper, I apologize if this is a simple task and I missed in a man page or something.[/QUOTE]

no need to apologize - I for one have been using zypper for years and just recently learned that it provides what you are looking for: “zypper up -d” just downloads the files.

[QUOTE]jmozdzen@xxx01:~> zypper help up
update (up) [options] [packagename] …

Update all or specified installed packages with newer versions, if possible.

Command options:
[…]
-d, --download-only Only download the packages, do not install.

jmozdzen@xxx01:~>[/QUOTE]

Regards,
Jens