Update BIND to latest version - but how?

Hi. I need to update BIND running on SLES 10.4 to the latest version of BIND. Current BIND is 9.6-ESV-R4-P1. Need to get to 9.6-ESV-R9-P1 or higher. Yast software update will get me patches to the current BIND release, but not a newer release itself (or am I missing something?). I’m thinking I need to downloaded the rpm for the newer bind version, then install it (somehow). Am I close?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

-Dave Horch

Hi Dave,

[QUOTE=dhorch;18238]Hi. I need to update BIND running on SLES 10.4 to the latest version of BIND. Current BIND is 9.6-ESV-R4-P1. Need to get to 9.6-ESV-R9-P1 or higher. Yast software update will get me patches to the current BIND release, but not a newer release itself (or am I missing something?). I’m thinking I need to downloaded the rpm for the newer bind version, then install it (somehow). Am I close?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

-Dave Horch[/QUOTE]

looking on software.opensuse.org, I found a SLE10 repository featuring 9.8.5.P2 (https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home%3Aikoga&package=bind). While you’d leave supported ground, either downloading those RPMs or adding that repository temporarily to your server and then installing might get you where you need to go.

Regards and happy holidays,
Jens

dhorch Wrote in message:
[color=blue]

Hi. I need to update BIND running on SLES 10.4 to the latest version of
BIND. Current BIND is 9.6-ESV-R4-P1. Need to get to 9.6-ESV-R9-P1 or
higher. Yast software update will get me patches to the current BIND
release, but not a newer release itself (or am I missing something?).
I’m thinking I need to downloaded the rpm for the newer bind version,
then install it (somehow). Am I close?[/color]

Is there a particular reason for wanting a later version of BIND?
Whilst the version of BIND available through the patch channel
might be an earlier version than the one you’re after SUSE may
have back ported a fix from a later version.

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup