XFS with Hardware Raid Configuration

I’m having a problem discerning through all the web articles old and new. How to install a XFS filesystem using hardware raid: Do I use the default gui in Yast? Do I use XFS command line and if so which switches do I use? Do I need to be concerned with the number of physical drives, stripe, alignment, or mount commands?

Thanks

Whether the disk is a RAID disk or not really doesn’t matter that much. If it’s HW RAID then it should pretty much be transparent to the OS.
I would assume the OS to see RAID array as one single disk.

#> fdisk -l
to list all your disks

To create and XFS filesystem. (change /dev/sda1 to whatever disk it is)
#> mkfs.xfs /dev/sda1

From the mkfs.xfs man page.

[QUOTE=summitflier;12808] If it’s HW RAID then it should pretty much be transparent to the OS.
I would assume the OS to see RAID array as one single disk.[/QUOTE]

Basically correct, but XFS has lots of tuning options to take optimum advantage of the hardware. It’s especially able to adopt to the physical layout of a RAID system, whether it’s hardware or software RAID.

Because I have no own hands-on experience in that area, I cannot judge the actual performance increase possible.

Do I use the default gui in Yast? Do I use XFS command line and if so which switches do I use?

If you want to just get XFS up&running, you can go the YaST route… but if you’re after the last deci-percent of performance, you’ll have to take things in your own hands. The man page has descriptions of the various tuning options available and a number of descriptive pages have been put up on the net by people that seem to have dealt with this intensively.

Regards,
Jens

I just took the defaults when setting up with yast. It didn’t create any su or sw but maybe I don’t need this HW RD5.