I have a hostname & IP address which I want to assign to a Loadbalanced service in Rancher. In this example, let’s assume that the hostname is ‘www.example.org’.
To set up HA traditionally, without containers, I would do something like the following:
- Allocate several hosts as webservers.
- Allocate two hosts as Loadbalancers. These direct traffic to the three real servers.
- Acquire a hostname/IP for the public service.
- For HA:
- Plumb each loadbalancer with the IP address of the service
- Configure the Loadbalancers to use keepalived or something similar so that the service IP address floats between two machines, and is always available if one machine is down.
How would I do this in Rancher? Can I assign an IP address via Rancher which will float from one host to another?
So far what I’ve tried to do in Rancher is:
- Assign the IP address for www.example.org to one of the Rancher worker nodes
- Configure two wordpress containers, one MySQL container and one Loadbalancer service per the Rancher Quick Start Guide
- In the loadbancer, I tried to assign the IP address from #1. I don’t think this worked.
However, any way to configure the Rancher Loadbalancer manipulate IP addresses on the host.