AMD Radeon graphic card

Mz daugther has an old computer and I got convinced her to use Linux.It has been quite difficult. OpenSuse worked fine for some years. Because administration is needed, I decided buy a SLED license for her. This should even be better.
BUT:
The system install fine. But it do not boot.
After login screen the screen is gray.
Using ALT CTRL F1 and manual login and code startx, the display starts and all works well.
The mouse flashes little bit, bt it works.

But I can’t get the display manager to start.

So she got another laptop with Ubuntu. But she prefer SUSE and wish it back.

I can’t find a solution on web. I can find that if the driver has an issue, X-manager might fail to start.

By the way, before kernel update it worked fine.
i have similar issues with my SLES after last kernel update. Nividia card and boot issue I has to solve with reboot or startx

Hi
What AMD gpu? Not using fglrx as this is deprecated…

Not dual graphics?

/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|3D"

If it’s an older AMD gpu, might need some tweaks added in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Hi Malcolm: I have some difficulties to get on Forum. I can login, but not post. Why here and now??

I have installed on the Laptop 3 systems:
Ubuntu: works out of the box.
Mint - on daughters wish and a really nice program. It works. had some hang in beginning. But it shows all 3D acceleration is off and all graphic handled by CPU.

SUSE- what we all prefer, but…

katharina@SLEDKatharina:~$ /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 “VGA|3D”
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250] [1002:9712]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:147b]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6530M/6550M] [1002:68c1]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Mobility Radeon HD 5650 [103c:147b]
katharina@SLEDKatharina:~$

This is about graphic setup. There are shown 2 screen as well.
Actually, after 3x installation and this multiboot it seems SUSE have “learned from Ubuntu” and runs now. But Mouse is flashing.

This is the situation ion my SLES.
Graphic boot randomly not.

hans-christoph@LINUXSLES:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 “VGA|3D”
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF106GL [Quadro 2000] [10de:0dd8] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:084a]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia
hans-christoph@LINUXSLES:~>

[QUOTE=hans_christoph_paul;52292]Hi Malcolm: I have some difficulties to get on Forum. I can login, but not post. Why here and now??

I have installed on the Laptop 3 systems:
Ubuntu: works out of the box.
Mint - on daughters wish and a really nice program. It works. had some hang in beginning. But it shows all 3D acceleration is off and all graphic handled by CPU.

SUSE- what we all prefer, but…

katharina@SLEDKatharina:~$ /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 “VGA|3D”
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250] [1002:9712]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:147b]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6530M/6550M] [1002:68c1]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Mobility Radeon HD 5650 [103c:147b]
katharina@SLEDKatharina:~$

This is about graphic setup. There are shown 2 screen as well.
Actually, after 3x installation and this multiboot it seems SUSE have “learned from Ubuntu” and runs now. But Mouse is flashing.[/QUOTE]
Hi
In this case you probably need to tweak with the Tear Free option, so as root user (or as your user create the file and copy to the location as root);

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Radeon"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

See how that goes.

[QUOTE=hans_christoph_paul;52293]This is the situation ion my SLES.
Graphic boot randomly not.

hans-christoph@LINUXSLES:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 “VGA|3D”
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF106GL [Quadro 2000] [10de:0dd8] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:084a]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia
hans-christoph@LINUXSLES:~>[/QUOTE]
Hi
So no issues with the proprietary Nvidia driver?

Hi Malcolm,
this works. I have no clue why SUSE not could just write that to me and I had to spend plenty of hours to try…
However. The upstart is stille terrible with partly command lines in the room. But that we can live with.

I had to generate the file. Can you tell me what it does? TearFree? What happens?
A questions more:
There seems to be 2 graphic cards?
There are both 32bit and 64 driver. If I delete the 32bit driver, the system can’t start. ??

These driver had been installed by default.

libdrm_nouveau2 - Userspace interface for Kernel DRM services for NVIDIA chips
libdrm_nouveau2-32bit - Userspace interface for Kernel DRM services for NVIDIA chips
nvidia-computeG03 - NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU
nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default - NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 8xxx and newer GPUs
nvidia-glG03 - NVIDIA GL libraries for OpenGL acceleration
nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-default - NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module
x11-video-nvidiaG03 - NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 8xxx and newer GPUs
xf86-video-nv - NVIDIA video driver for the Xorg X server

I could read some drivers are maybe better than others…

[QUOTE=hans_christoph_paul;52299]These driver had been installed by default.

libdrm_nouveau2 - Userspace interface for Kernel DRM services for NVIDIA chips
libdrm_nouveau2-32bit - Userspace interface for Kernel DRM services for NVIDIA chips
nvidia-computeG03 - NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU
nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default - NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 8xxx and newer GPUs
nvidia-glG03 - NVIDIA GL libraries for OpenGL acceleration
nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-default - NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module
x11-video-nvidiaG03 - NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 8xxx and newer GPUs
xf86-video-nv - NVIDIA video driver for the Xorg X server

I could read some drivers are maybe better than others…[/QUOTE]

Hi
The first two files and last xf86-video-nv are for the nouveau driver, the others are the proprietary ones for the nvidia driver. From your output from lspci command it shows the kernel driver in use as nvidia but nouveau is still available if needed…

[QUOTE=hans_christoph_paul;52298]Hi Malcolm,
this works. I have no clue why SUSE not could just write that to me and I had to spend plenty of hours to try…
However. The upstart is stille terrible with partly command lines in the room. But that we can live with.

I had to generate the file. Can you tell me what it does? TearFree? What happens?
A questions more:
There seems to be 2 graphic cards?
There are both 32bit and 64 driver. If I delete the 32bit driver, the system can’t start. ??[/QUOTE]
Hi
Yes dual AMD, but both using radeon driver… can one be disabled in the system BIOS?

Lets see if it’s driving different outputs, can you show the output from (as your user);

xrandr --listproviders

Some applications still need 32bit libraries for compatibility, I wouldn’t worry about deleting.

Hi Malcolm,

actually it works. This is well.
Just some questions: Can you explain what happen, what this lines does?
Does that work in other Linux distributions as well since the kernel would be the same?

Yes, but as today, the screen goes into grey. Sometimes I can get it up by Ctrl+Alt+F1, sometime reboot. Why that?

[QUOTE=hans_christoph_paul;52311]Hi Malcolm,

actually it works. This is well.
Just some questions: Can you explain what happen, what this lines does?
Does that work in other Linux distributions as well since the kernel would be the same?[/QUOTE]
Hi
This will work across any distribution as it’s an Xorg setting (xf86-video-radeon), for all of the information on settings, check the manual page;

man radeon

Hi
If there is a kernel or graphics stack (Mesa) update, then the driver needs to rebuild and update. This can sometime take extra time since the nvidia is in an external repository.

Perhaps start a new thread on this, since this one is about AMD gpus :wink:

Hi Malcolm,

SUSE works now fine on HP Radeon Card
Mint (wish of my daugther and a nice Distro) had same issues as SUSE with Radeon Card. I found a solution by removing som driver - and it worked.

Michael from SUSE supported me regarding SLES

echo “backlist nouveau” >> /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf
depmod -a
mkinitrd

So far this seems to work.
I’m glad.