AutoYaST doesn't configure network

Hello folks!

Maybe I just got too less coffee this morning but I’m running into trouble invoking AutoYaST on SLES 12. Using the original installation medium (DVD 1) and the following linuxrc boot parameters
[FONT=Courier New]netdevice=eth0 hostip=192.168.251.135 netmask=255.255.255.0 autoyast=nfs://192.168.251.6/srv/nfs/default/autoinst-SLES12.xml[/FONT]
breaks the installation with error “An error occurred while fetching the profile” (and so on). Searching around the system at this state I found out that eth0 was not configured. No configuration and state DOWN.
What am I missing?

Thanks & regards
Tim

On 02/12/2015 08:44, timstein wrote:
[color=blue]

Maybe I just got too less coffee this morning but I’m running into
trouble invoking AutoYaST on SLES 12. Using the original installation
medium (DVD 1) and the following linuxrc boot parameters
netdevice=eth0 hostip=192.168.251.135 netmask=255.255.255.0
autoyast=nfs://192.168.251.6/srv/nfs/default/autoinst-SLES12.xml
breaks the installation with error “An error occurred while fetching the
profile” (and so on). Searching around the system at this state I found
out that eth0 was not configured. No configuration and state DOWN.
What am I missing?[/color]

So this isn’t a question about an AutoYaST profile but trying to access
one when booting the server to install via AutoYaST?

If eth0 exists during the (aborted) install I would try adding
“netwait=30” to the linuxrc boot parameters to wait 30 seconds for
network to initialise before continuing the install.

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

[QUOTE=smflood]So this isn’t a question about an AutoYaST profile but trying to access one when booting the server to install via AutoYaST?[/QUOTE]Yes, exactly. For me it looks like as if linuxrc does not configure and activate eth0.

[QUOTE=smflood]If eth0 exists during the (aborted) install I would try adding “netwait=30” to the linuxrc boot parameters to wait 30 seconds for network to initialise before continuing the install.[/QUOTE]Did not help :frowning: eth0 is there during install

Hi Tim,

I’ve been running into similar issues recently, I tried to setup a SLE12 VM with the “old syntax” for the network configuration. You can find the correct syntax here. Basically, this is how linuxrc expects the network configuration:

ifcfg="eth0=10.0.1.1/24,10.0.1.254,10.0.1.10 10.0.1.11,foo.bar zap.bar"

So for your example I would try this:

ifcfg='eth0=192.168.251.135/24' autoyast=nfs://192.168.251.6/srv/nfs/default/autoinst-SLES12.xml

I’ve been told that linuxrc only requires ip address and netmask to configure a basic network, so this should probably work (maybe with minor changes).

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Eugen

Eugen, you are my man! Thank you! This exactly solved my problem.

I will add a comment to the corresponding SLES 12 documentation. From my point of view it’s simply pointing into the wrong direction.

Best regards
Tim

I’m glad it worked :slight_smile: