Best practices for CoreOS with Rancher

I’m using CoreOS as the base operating system for a simple Rancher cluster – one Rancher server and one container host.

CoreOS reboots on its own after receiving updates, which is great from the security point of view but a little frustrating from my side, as the Rancher stacks all fall down and the server itself is unreachable.

My server is provisioned with Docker Compose. I suspect that after CoreOS reboots, only some of the containers come up. When I ssh into the server and run docker-compose down followed by docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f production.yml up -d everything works its way back up. Eventually. :slight_smile:

Is anyone else using CoreOS in this way? If so, is there a better way to do what I’m trying to do? I’m a happy DO customer so I am trying to use the lightest-weight operating system that comes as a stock offering on DO. Thanks in advance for any help!

I believe you can alter the cloud-init in CoreOS to not perform auto-updates. But that is likely not the answer you’re looking for…At least it would provide relief while you continue looking for a more complete solution.

https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/update-strategies.html <-- link to docs.

I have been using this as a workaround for the past few months. While it isn’t ideal, it lets me schedule maintenance and still be reasonably up to date, without surprise outages. I hadn’t updated my post because I’m still hoping to find a better solution! Thank you for helping the other folks who find this post when searching the forums. :slight_smile: