Can't get Canon printer driver installed

This is a new installed of SLED 12. I have a Canon imageClass mf4570dw laser printer that I want to be able to print to (it’s a network printer). When I tried to set it up, I couldn’t find any printer listed in the printer list that matches my printer. So, I went out to Canon’s website and downloaded the printer driver (generic Linux 64-bit). But when I tried to install it by running the install.sh the installation failed because the shell script is trying to run a command called dnf that doesn’t seem to exist on SLED. From what I gather, it is a command that is part of something called Dandified Yum, which doesn’t seem to exist on SLED. How can I get these drivers installed or is there some other Canon printer, included in SLED, whose driver will work with my Canon printer?

You could try installing the RPM packages by hand instead. Open a terminal and navigate to where the archive package was extracted, locate the appropriate files ‘cndrvcups-common-3.71-1.x86_64’ and ‘cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-3.31-1.x86_64’ and install with

sudo zypper install ./*.rpm

That should take care of any dependencies (if any) as well.

The next step is to configure via the CUPS web interface (or YaST if you prefer).

See how that goes.

[QUOTE=drwoeltje;38572]This is a new installed of SLED 12. I have a Canon imageClass mf4570dw laser printer that I want to be able to print to (it’s a network printer). [/QUOTE]Don’t lose time with “CANON printer under Linux”. Buy a POSTSCRIPT printer from HP which is fully supported by hplip-3.14.6 (“HP Linux Imaging and Printing” v3.14.6 included in SLED12 SP2).

HP is the only printer manufacture which provide cheap printers with acceptable good LINUX support (and printer drivers included in SLED12SP2). Check the HP LINUX printer support under:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

I recommend “HP Color LaserJet MFP m277dw”.

Hi *,

on the other hand, Brother is very supportive in the Linux environment, too. I don’t know believe their drivers are included in SLED, but they do work and our SLES server had been acting as a well-functioning print & scan server (CUPS and SANE) with multiple Brother printer/scanner combos. The one time we had severe problems, their support team handed our problem description over to the development team and a fixed driver was published.

My experiences with later HP printers were less favorable than my experiences with Brother hardware during the same time frame, but it’s not much difference. And the HP laser printers do work nicely with that same CUPS server, too.

Regards,
J