Can't start DomU

I’m not able to start, destroy, or delete the DomU “test2”.

[CODE]xen2:~ # xm list
Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s)
Domain-0 0 502 2 r----- 226.8
test2 768 1 19.3
test3 1 768 1 -b---- 1.6

xen2:~ # xm start test2
Error: Domain is already running
Usage: xm start

Start a Xend managed domain
-p, --paused Do not unpause domain after starting it
-c, --console_autoconnect Connect to the console after the domain
is created
–vncviewer Connect to display via VNC after the
domain is created
–vncviewer-autopass Pass VNC password to viewer via stdin and
-autopass

xen2:~ # xm shutdown test2
Error:
Usage: xm shutdown [-waRH]

Shutdown a domain.

xen2:~ # xm destroy test2

xen2:~ # xm start test2
Error: Domain is already running
Usage: xm start

Start a Xend managed domain
-p, --paused Do not unpause domain after starting it
-c, --console_autoconnect Connect to the console after the domain
is created
–vncviewer Connect to display via VNC after the
domain is created
–vncviewer-autopass Pass VNC password to viewer via stdin and
-autopass

xen2:~ # xm delete test2
Error: Domain is not halted.
Usage: xm delete

Remove a domain from Xend domain management.

xen2:~ # ps ax | grep test2
6800 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep test2

xen2:~ # ps ax | grep 2a694c2a-67ae-8aba-039d-d57a2d1e5eec
6811 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep 2a694c2a-67ae-8aba-039d-d57a2d1e5eec[/CODE]
What do I need to do to un-wedge this DomU? :confused:

Eric Pretorious
Truckee, CA

Hi Eric,

What do I need to do to un-wedge this DomU? :confused:

your servers have been selected to be the first ones going down for Maja calendar reset. Nothing you can do about it but wait.

OK, back to a more serious answer: You have some truly strange problems going on at your site. Is there any background story - power hits, servers/disk arrays/… crashing or anything else that may have brought your servers to such a state?

First place to check for more descriptive error messages would be /var/log/xen/xend.log, and maybe the DomU-specific log file in the same directory, if xend got that far. Any other problems or annoyances on that server, that may lead to a common source? Any file systems at 100%, or mounted r/o because of file system trouble? Anything in syslog, “dmesg”?

Regards,
Jens

LOL, Jens: So far all of the problems seem to be caused by my sloppy typing. :rolleyes:

Nope:
[LIST]
[*]The only thing related to the DomU in /var/log/xen/xend.log or /var/log/xen/xen-debug.log came after issuing the command xm reboot test4:

[2012-12-22 20:49:10 4584] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:523) XendDomainInfo.shutdown(reboot) [2012-12-22 20:49:10 4584] ERROR (xmlrpclib2:181) Internal error handling xend.domain.shutdown Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/util/xmlrpclib2.py", line 134, in _marshaled_dispatch response = self._dispatch(method, params) File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/SimpleXMLRPCServer.py", line 418, in _dispatch return func(*params) File "<string>", line 1, in <lambda> File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/server/XMLRPCServer.py", line 56, in dispatch return getattr(info, fn)(*args) File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 532, in shutdown self.storeDom("control/shutdown", reason) File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 1760, in storeDom return xstransact.Store(self.dompath, *args) File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/xenstore/xstransact.py", line 347, in Store complete(path, lambda t: t.store(*args)) File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/xenstore/xstransact.py", line 361, in complete t = xstransact(path) File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/xenstore/xstransact.py", line 27, in __init__ assert path is not None AssertionError
[*]The DomU-specific log file /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-test4.log hasn’t been changed in a week but contains this bit:

[CODE]xen1:~ # cat /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-test4.log
domid: 25
Warning: vlan 0 is not connected to host network
char device redirected to /dev/pts/1
xs_read(): target get error. /local/domain/25/target.
xs_read(): vncpasswd get error. /vm/080fcd1b-40a6-9b8f-ad38-f5d4684c2ed4/vncpasswd.
char device redirected to /dev/pts/2

xen1:~ # xm list -l test4 | grep vnc
(vncunused 1)
(vnc 1)[/CODE]
[*]Neither dmesg nor /var/log/messages contain anything related to the problem (and the other DomU’s on the host are working as expected).[/LIST]

How can I nuke this DomU from the xend?

Eric Pretorious
Truckee, CA

I noticed that the malfunctioning DomU appears in the output of xm list but not in the output of xenstore-ls:

xen2:~ # xenstore-ls | grep name name = "Domain-0" name = "Pool-0" pool_name = "Pool-0" name = "Domain-0" xen2:~ # xm list -l | grep '(name' (name Domain-0) (name test2)
How can I reconcile this discrepancy? i.e., How can I nuke test2 from xenstore (or wherever xm list is pulling its information)?

Eric Pretorious
Truckee, CA