Configuration error PASS_MIN_LEN in SLES 12

Hi,
recently I modify /etc/login.defs in a server with SLES 12 adding PASS_MIN_LEN parameter to accomplish the corporate policy with passwords length. After that, every time I executed a command related with user or group management I get the error:

configuration error - unknown item 'PASS_MIN_LEN' (notify administrator)

I have the same configuration in another servers with SLES 11 SP3 and I never got this message.
The command that causes this error is correctly executed but it’s annoying get this message every time.
Anybody knows how to correct this?
Thanks in advanced

rvillafafila,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

Hi,

I have never had a need to modify the login.defs file but it appears from the login.defs man page that you need to specify both PASS_MAX_LEN and PASS_MIN_LEN. Is this what you specified?

Also, I noticed that the man page for login.defs on my SLES 11 SP3 system is different than the login.defs man page on SLES 12.

Harley

Thanks for your answer.
I re-read the login.defs man page in the two SLES versions and there are little differences. As you say, I specify PASS_MAX_LEN and PASS_MIN_LEN in the login.defs file but the message is the same. It’s only a warning message, because the command is executed correctly. The unique difference that I find from one version to the other is that there are more commands in the new version and only passwd command uses the PASS_MIN_LEN parameter. The rest of the commands about user/password management use others parameters and don’t like this parameter in the login.defs file. In pam configuration I don’t find any check of this parameter, so I have no solution for this problem yet.
By the moment, I delete this parameters from login.defs, but I would like to know why it doesn’t work in this SLES version.
Regards