Enabling vlan tagging issues

I’m trying to enable vlan tagging on an SLES SP3 x64 server without success. I’m using Broadcom 82599EB NICs. All interfaces are configured for the internal firewall and services are permitted. The configs launch and do not issue errors on network restart/startup, but no traffic is tagged when it hits the switch. The switch ports are properly configured and cables are good (I’ve tested them with other boxes). The 8021q module loads on startup. I’ve tried using both the YAST wizard and manual configuration without success. My configs are as follows:

/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth2

BOOTPROTO=‘static’
BROADCAST=’’
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=’’
MTU=’’
NAME=‘82599EB 10-Gigabit Network Connection’
NETMASK=’’
NETWORK=’’
REMOTE_IPADDR=’’
STARTMODE=‘auto’
USERCONTROL=‘no’

/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-vlan100

BOOTPROTO=‘static’
ETHERDEVICE=‘eth2’
IPADDR=‘10.x.x.x/24’
MTU=’’
DEVICE=‘vlan100’
NETWORK=‘10.x.x.0’
REMOTE_IPADDR=’’
STARTMODE=‘auto’
USERCONTROL=‘no’
VLAN_ID=‘100’

These configs are a result of the YAST configuration wizard currently. All help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Hi,

Do you see any traffic on the switch?

Do you see any runt statistics on the switch? [runts, as you may know, are untagged frames which are smaller than 64 bytes, or tagged ones which are smaller than 68 bytes].

[QUOTE=jqueiroz;21648]Hi,

Do you see any traffic on the switch?

Do you see any runt statistics on the switch? [runts, as you may know, are untagged frames which are smaller than 64 bytes, or tagged ones which are smaller than 68 bytes].[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. I’ll check for runts - I haven’t done that. Switch metrics don’t indicate any large frames or packets so far, but I’ll take a look. I do know that the switchport will transfer tagged traffic from another box when I plug it in. I’ve tried a newer version of the driver and verified that the firewall isn’t blocking traffic.

I suggest that you also check that there’s traffic coming to this VLAN. I passed a similar situation, just to discover later that there was a trunk blocking my vlan, half way to the core switch.

If I haven’t said it already, thanks for the help with this. Already verified the trunk config, and I have no runts. Despite a no shutdown config, I noticed that the line protocol is down unpredictably. I’m verifying the cable compatibility at the moment.

Update: Turns out a port on the NIC was bad. Replaced the card, and VLAN tagging kicked in properly. This issue is closed.

Thanks again for the help.