error while loading shared librariers: libqt-mt.so.3

I got a new USB modem from my operator and it contained driver for linux so I installed it and now when I try to run it I get the below error

error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched for that lib and found it in /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib/qt3/lib64

Do I need to install the 32 bit version? how to be sure about that?

Thanks,
Ahmed

[QUOTE=aabdelkhalek;22937]I got a new USB modem from my operator and it contained driver for linux so I installed it and now when I try to run it I get the below error

error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched for that lib and found it in /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib/qt3/lib64

Do I need to install the 32 bit version? how to be sure about that?
[/QUOTE]
Can you post output of

$ file cmd $ ldd cmd
Replace cmd with whatever it is you’re running. Wrap output in CODE tags for readability, look for the # button in the formatting options. If whatever it is you’re running is a 32bit binary then it’ll need 32bit libraries.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;22938]Can you post output of

$ file cmd $ ldd cmd
Replace cmd with whatever it is you’re running. Wrap output in CODE tags for readability, look for the # button in the formatting options. If whatever it is you’re running is a 32bit binary then it’ll need 32bit libraries.[/QUOTE]

sorry for my belated reply. Here you’re the outputs you requested

aabdelkhalek@linux-moati:/opt/Etisalat_USB_Modem> file Etisalat_USB_Modem 
Etisalat_USB_Modem: setuid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
aabdelkhalek@linux-moati:/opt/Etisalat_USB_Modem> ldd Etisalat_USB_Modem 
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libusb-0.1.so.4 => /usr/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0xf76f2000)
	libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0xf761f000)
	libqt-mt.so.3 => not found
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xf760e000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xf74da000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf74bf000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf73d1000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf73a9000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf739a000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf722c000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf7226000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xf721c000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xf7218000)
	libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xf7215000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xf71f7000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7735000)

I tried searching for that lib using zypper se libqt and got the below output but I’m not sure which package should I install! :frowning:

zypper se libqt
Refreshing service 'nu_novell_com'.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                        | Summary                                                | Type      
--+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+-----------
i | libQtWebKit-devel           | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
i | libQtWebKit4                | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
i | libQtWebKit4-32bit          | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
  | libqt4                      | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | srcpackage
i | libqt4                      | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
i | libqt4-32bit                | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
i | libqt4-devel                | Qt Development Kit                                     | package   
  | libqt4-devel-doc            | Qt documentation                                       | package   
  | libqt4-devel-doc            | Qt documentation                                       | srcpackage
  | libqt4-devel-doc-data       | Qt documentation (architecture independent files)      | package   
  | libqt4-devel-doc-data       | Qt documentation (architecture independent files)      | srcpackage
i | libqt4-qt3support           | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
i | libqt4-qt3support-32bit     | C++ Program Library, Core Components                   | package   
i | libqt4-sql                  | Qt 4 SQL related libraries                             | package   
i | libqt4-sql-32bit            | Qt 4 SQL related libraries                             | package   
i | libqt4-sql-mysql            | Qt 4 MySQL support                                     | package   
i | libqt4-sql-mysql-32bit      | Qt 4 MySQL support                                     | package   
  | libqt4-sql-plugins          | Qt 4 SQL related libraries                             | srcpackage
  | libqt4-sql-postgresql       | Qt 4 PostgreSQL plugin                                 | package   
  | libqt4-sql-postgresql-32bit | Qt 4 PostgreSQL plugin                                 | package   
i | libqt4-sql-sqlite           | Qt 4 sqlite plugin                                     | package   
i | libqt4-sql-sqlite-32bit     | Qt 4 sqlite plugin                                     | package   
  | libqt4-sql-unixODBC         | Qt 4 unixODBC plugin                                   | package   
  | libqt4-sql-unixODBC-32bit   | Qt 4 unixODBC plugin                                   | package   
i | libqt4-x11                  | Qt 4 GUI related libraries                             | package   
i | libqt4-x11-32bit            | Qt 4 GUI related libraries                             | package   
  | libqtpod                    | A Qt based library to access the data on an Apple iPod | srcpackage
  | libqtpod-devel              | A Qt based library to access the data on an Apple iPod | package   
  | libqtpod0                   | A Qt based library to access the data on an Apple iPod | package   
  | sdksp3-libQtWebKit-devel    | Security update for libQt                              | patch     
i | sledsp1-libQtWebKit-devel   | Recommended update for libqt4                          | patch     
i | sledsp2-libQtWebKit-devel   | Security update for libqt4                             | patch     
  | sledsp3-libQtWebKit-devel   | Security update for libQt                              | patch     

[QUOTE=aabdelkhalek;23098]saabdelkhalek@linux-moati:/opt/Etisalat_USB_Modem> file Etisalat_USB_Modem
Etisalat_USB_Modem: setuid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
[/CODE]
[/QUOTE]
OK, so it’s a 32bit binary, so yes, you need the 32bit version of libqt-mt.so.3 which because you’re running 64bit will be will be in a package that has -32bit in the name.

mine:~ # zypper wp libqt-mt.so.3 | grep 32bit | qt3-32bit | package | 3.3.8b-88.21 | x86_64 | SLED11SP3-Pool mine:~ #

Install qt3-32bit and see if that fixes the problem.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;23100]OK, so it’s a 32bit binary, so yes, you need the 32bit version of libqt-mt.so.3 which because you’re running 64bit will be will be in a package that has -32bit in the name.

mine:~ # zypper wp libqt-mt.so.3 | grep 32bit | qt3-32bit | package | 3.3.8b-88.21 | x86_64 | SLED11SP3-Pool mine:~ #

Install qt3-32bit and see if that fixes the problem.[/QUOTE]

Installing qt3-32bit solved the problem and I was able to launch the SW and connect to the internet. However the strange thing is that I was able to do that as root only! In fact, I had to be root just to install the SW!

Thanks a lot for your cooperation
Ahmed

On 08/23/2014 05:04 AM, aabdelkhalek wrote:[color=blue]

Installing qt3-32bit solved the problem and I was able to launch the SW
and connect to the internet. However the strange thing is that I was
able to do that as root only! In fact, I had to be root just to install
the SW![/color]

That is not strange, that is normal. The only way to install system files
is as a user that controls the system, and that user is ‘root’. Rights to
do that kind of thing can be delegated using things like ‘sudo’, but at
the end of the day the default ownership of both the locations for the
installed files from the package, as well as the package system and
package metadata, is owned exclusively by ‘root’, so you must escalate
privileges (to ‘root’) to do those things. This is the normal privilege
model of a secure OS.

Running the program is a bit less certain, since many programs can be run
as other users. This one, though, likely deals with hardware and system
configuration, which means playing with system files again and thus
another need to run temporarily as ‘root’ while setting things up. Often
things that need to work with networking hardware, such as the Network
Manager tool that lets an end user configure networking from the GUI, will
run as ‘root’ but provide an interface for a non-root user so that users
are not running as ‘root’ full time, even if some of their apps magically
have power to do system-wide things (like changing modem/NIC/VPN settings).

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…