How can I change the "rancher/shell" image?

Hi there,

I’m using rancher helm chart to install Rancher dashboard to my air gapped kubernetes environment.
When I’m installing the rancher chart on kubernetes, I see it’s creating so many helm-operation-xxxx pod on cattle-system namespace. It can’t pull the rancher/shell:v0.1.14 image, because my kubernetes cluster is air gapped and has no access to internet !

How can I change the rancher/shell:v0.1.14 image to myprivateregistry:5000/rancher/shell:v0.1.14 ?

I haven’t tried it but I think that’s the systemDefaultRegistry option? (see Rancher Docs: Rancher Helm Chart Options for the documentation page on options).

Yeah :grinning:
Thank you so much :pray: :pray: :pray:

Do you know how can I disable it entirely?

No clue, but my guess would be that you probably can’t. Since people use registries for running jobs and the idea behind having a Kubernetes cluster would be to run something I think having a Docker registry of some sort somewhere was likely taken as assumed.

You can also change the shell container via a manual edit to the settings, useful if you need to upgrade the shell image or use a custom one

kubectl edit settings.management.cattle.io

and then changing the value for the shell-image key

- apiVersion: management.cattle.io/v3
  customized: false
  default: rancher/shell:v0.1.10             
  kind: Setting  
  metadata:                                      
    name: shell-image
  source: ""       
  value: ""

to something like

- apiVersion: management.cattle.io/v3
  customized: false
  default: rancher/shell:v0.1.10             
  kind: Setting  
  metadata:                                      
    name: shell-image
  source: ""       
  value: rancher/shell:v0.1.16

I don’t know if this will also support private registry links, I see no reason why it shouldn’t. But since this is the first result on Google for how to change the shell image hopefully this helps someone