How to CIFS Mount?

Hi,

has somebody managed to mount CIFS volumes in RancherOS? NFS works nicely in my configuration (see below) but CIFS does not work at all…

sudo vi /var/lib/rancher/conf/cloud-config.yml

mount -t nfs 192.168.178.123:/volume/abc /mnt/abc
mount -t cifs -o credentials=/root/.smbcredentials //192.168.178.123/bcd /mnt/bcd

Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards

Peter

I don’t believe you can using the default console as no rpcbind package is present for mounting any type of remote file system.

Switching to the ubuntu-console should make this possible (as at worst you can just install the package).

Hello,

I had a similar question and was struggling to get it working on our internal/private cloud. Here’s a stripped down version that will get you up and running.

#cloud-config
hostname: namehere
rancher:
   console: ubuntu
   network:
    interfaces:
      eth*:
        dhcp: true
   sysctl:
    vm.max_map_count: 262999
   services:
    rancher-agent1:
      image: rancher/agent:v1.2.2
      command: http://1.2.3.4:8080/v1/projects/1a5/scripts/the:unique:codehere
      privileged: true
      volumes:
        - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
      environment:
        CATTLE_HOST_LABELS: env=test&os=rancheros
runcmd:
  - chown -R :rancher /mnt
  - chmod -R g+rw /mnt
  - apt update
  - apt install cifs-utils -y
  - sudo mount //windowsFileServer/sharename -t cifs -o username=theUserName,password=thePassWordHere /mnt
ssh_authorized_keys:
  - ssh-rsa AAA...

This line is for running Elasticsearch on the host (off topic but may be helpful to others):

sysctl:
vm.max_map_count: 262999

To add more mounts you can create a yml file on rancheros like the following:

runcmd:

• sudo mount //windowsFileServer/sharename2 -t cifs -o username=theUserName,password=thePassWordHere /mnt2

Then ‘sudo ros config merge -i moreMounts.yml’ and reboot. You can find the entry in /var/lib/rancher/conf/cloud-config.yml. This was brought to you in part by maik “No risk, no fun.” :slight_smile: and documentation.

version 1.0.4, successed

#cloud-config
mounts:
- - //192.168.1.1
  - /mnt/smb
  - cifs
  - username=guest,iocharset=utf8,_netdev