Installing Dropbox on SLED 11 Sp3

After successfully running Dropbox 2.0.22 for some time on SLED 11 sp3, I’m now getting pop-ups that this version will be retiring soon.

So I’ve tried to no avail to get the latest Dropbox installed.

I tried to download the only RPM listed on Dropbox’s web site: nautilus-dropbox-1.6.2-1.fedora.x86_64.rpm
but got
[INDENT]error: Failed dependencies:
nautilus-extensions >= 2.16.0 is needed by nautilus-dropbox-1.6.2-1.fc10.x86_64
[/INDENT]

So I thought I’d compile from source, but ran into the same problem:
[INDENT][B]checking for NAUTILUS… configure: error: Package requirements (libnautilus-extension >= 2.16.0) were not met:

No package ‘libnautilus-extension’ found[/B][/INDENT]

libnautilus-extension is not available in the SLED repo, so I enabled opensuse 12.1 repos, but ran into further errors.

So how are others going about installing the latest Dropbox on SLED 11 SP3, to get past the nautilus extensions requirement?

Cheers, Gordon

Hi
The libnautilus file doesn’t look like it’s built for SLED 11 SP3, you
would need to grab the src nautilus (2.82) version from the src repo,
look at the spec file and 2.82 tarball to see if it exists…

Did the give a timeline as to when it will be dropped?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-21-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hi Malcolm

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;23318]
look at the spec file and 2.82 tarball to see if it exists…[/QUOTE]

I checked my repos but the src repo is not there. I assume that I have to download DVD2 and add it to my repo?
Downloading now…
Once I do obtain the src nautilus, what do I do with it? Or will adding the SLED src to my repos allow the compilation of Dropbox to work?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;23318]
Did the give a timeline as to when it will be dropped?[/QUOTE]
No mention of a date, it popped up with something like “this version is soon retiring, please update”

In the meantime, I noticed that my Dropbox was not uploading, so I unlinked my pc from Dropbox and tried to add it back, but now it will not accept the old version. It gave the alert:

So now I have no dropbox running at all :frowning:

Gordon

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;23318]Hi
look at the spec file and 2.82 tarball to see if it exists…
[/QUOTE]

Would the SLED 11 SP3 SDK repo be worth installing to help with this?

Gordon

Hi
What version do you have at present installed?

There is a 1.6.0 version here a user on OBS has made?
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/repabuild/SLE_11_SP3/x86_64/

I grabbed a src rpm as well, I don’t think it will work… :frowning:

I had already downloaded this one, but to be sure of a clean slate, I removed Dropbox and the Nautilus extension via YAST, then rebooted and installed this one, but on trying to link my PC to Dropbox account, but got the dreaded message as before:

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;23323]
What version do you have at present installed?[/QUOTE]
After removing and re-installing just now, it is:
rpm -qa | grep -i dropbox
dropbox-1.6.0-21.39

Cheers, Gordon

[QUOTE=gordon_mzano;23325]I had already downloaded this one, but to be sure of a clean slate, I removed Dropbox and the Nautilus extension via YAST, then rebooted and installed this one, but on trying to link my PC to Dropbox account, but got the dreaded message as before:

dropbox-1.6.0-21.39
[/QUOTE]
I think there’s an element of Fail by Dropbox here. The version they currently make available as rpm and deb and source (there’s source now!) from https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx is 1.6. Dropbox make it irritatingly difficult to access the client download for an OS other than the one they’re using as everything links to https://www.dropbox.com/install and then redirects you based on your detected OS, but by telling Firefox to pretend to be Internet Explorer 11, I was able to access the Windows download and that’s 2.10.
So it looks like Dropbox are telling people using 1.6 that they must update, but still offering Linux users version 1.6 for download instead of 2.10.

However, also at https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx is a section headed ‘Install Dropbox via command line’ If you follow those instructions they download the client and unpack it in to ~/.dropbox-dist. (If you add a v to the tar command in their instructions you can see what it’s doing.) In ~/.dropbox-dist there’s a file called VERSION the contents of which reveals that it’s 2.10.

I guess you either keep using 1.6, ignore the nag about updating and see what happens, or remove 1.6 and use the command line only version. And/or find a way to ask Dropbox what they’re playing at.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;23326]I think there’s an element of Fail by Dropbox here. The version they currently make available as rpm and deb and source (there’s source now!) from https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx is 1.6. Dropbox make it irritatingly difficult to access the client download for an OS other than the one they’re using as everything links to https://www.dropbox.com/install and then redirects you based on your detected OS, but by telling Firefox to pretend to be Internet Explorer 11, I was able to access the Windows download and that’s 2.10.
So it looks like Dropbox are telling people using 1.6 that they must update, but still offering Linux users version 1.6 for download instead of 2.10.

However, also at https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx is a section headed ‘Install Dropbox via command line’ If you follow those instructions they download the client and unpack it in to ~/.dropbox-dist. (If you add a v to the tar command in their instructions you can see what it’s doing.) In ~/.dropbox-dist there’s a file called VERSION the contents of which reveals that it’s 2.10.
[/QUOTE]
Well analysed!

[QUOTE=mikewillis;23326]
I guess you either keep using 1.6, ignore the nag about updating and see what happens, or remove 1.6 and use the command line only version. And/or find a way to ask Dropbox what they’re playing at.[/QUOTE]
As the Dropbox server won’t let my freshly installed ‘old’ client version link to their service, I may only be able to use the command line for now. I’ll give Dropbox support a poke to see if they can get on the case.

Gordon

[QUOTE=gordon_mzano;23325]I had already downloaded this one, but to be sure of a clean slate, I removed Dropbox and the Nautilus extension via YAST, then rebooted and installed this one, but on trying to link my PC to Dropbox account, got the dreaded message as before:

“You’re using an old version of Dropbox. Please download the latest version at www.dropbox.com/downloading

dropbox-1.6.0-21.39
[/QUOTE]

My version of Dropbox is 1.6.0-21.39 (for SLES 11sp3 from https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/home:repabuild/dropbox?repository=SLE_11_SP3)
whereas the version that can be currently downloaded from Dropbox.com for linux is 1.6.2. So it is possible that the build.opensuse.org version is just too old for whatever reason that Dropbox have defined.

I also just checked a Dropbox readme and it says:
You will need the following packages (or equivalent):
libnautilus-extension-dev
So if I could solve this requirement, I could just compile the software and job done, but Malcolm didn’t think the src files would help in this case, so am I truly stuck then?

Gordon

SOLVED (partially, as it’s without nautilus integration - pfft!)

I see at dropbox.com there is the ‘server’ version without nautilus support.

Where after installing it says:

[QUOTE]Next, run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder.
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd[/QUOTE]
but in the same folder there is also ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox which runs in the GUI fine and presents an icon in the Gnome panel. No Nautilus support, but I don’t care for this, as the GUI icon provides all the functionality anyway.
So now running 2.10.28, and best of all the Dropbox servers allow me to connect to them again.
:smiley: yay!!

Gordon

Hi
What a saga… good to see it’s sorted. I imagine that with SLED 12 out
sometime in the future, these issues will be resolved :wink: