Just not getting rancher-compose

Just not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I created a project in the Rancher web interface. It is a single stack consisting of various components–App for the web app, Mongo, and a couple additional services. Unfortunately I noticed an issue with my App container and, tired of mucking around a web interface, I dumped my config and decided to start working with the docker-compose files directly. This is with rancher-compose 0.26 and 0.37RC1 of Rancher.

First, I pushed a change to my image. I wanted to then restart my App service with the fixes in place. Unfortunately, there was no rancher-compose pull, and stopping/starting the service didn’t appear to perform a pull. How do I trigger a new image pull?

Next, I ran into some issues with my existing App container, so I decided to completely recreate it. I did rancher-compose rm App, but it didn’t appear to disappear from the web interface until I deleted it myself via the web interface. The deletion didn’t appear to fail from rancher-compose. Further, I can repeatedly rm App with no apparent consequences or errors.

Then I thought I’d recreate this service from my docker-compose.yml, so I made a few minor tweaks and did rancher-compose create App. No output. If I pass --debug I see:

←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Opening compose file: docker-compose.yml
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Opening rancher-compose file: rancher-compose.yml
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] [0/5] [App]: Adding
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Found stack: Perceptron(1e4)
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Launching action for App
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Project [perceptron]: Creating project
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Finding service App
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] [0/5] [App]: Creating
←[34mINFO←[0m[0000] Creating service App
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Finding service Janus
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Found service Janus
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Finding service Mongo
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0000] Found service Mongo
←[37mDEBU←[0m[0001] [0/5] [App]: Created

If I don’t pass --debug, the output is empty. App does not appear in the web interface.

Actually, I take that back. App does appear, but it took several minutes. It didn’t appear after a page reload.

Also, I’m trying to configure service discovery in my docker-compose.yml. Rancher apparently has some service discovery capabilities. How are these handled? Are they traditional Docker-based service links, or something else? I.e. if I link my Mongo container to my app and call it “Mongo”, is its hostname simply “mongo” or something else? I’m getting “connection refused” errors when trying to address it like a normal link so I wonder if I’m missing something. For instance:

links:
  - Janus:Janus
  - Mongo:Mongo

How do I then address Mongo? Is it simply “mongo” in the container or is there some other DNS magic happening?

Thanks.
Thanks.

OK, I think much of this was due to a network hiccup, things do seem somewhat more responsive now. However, I do seem to be hitting another somewhat major problem.

I created a load balancer in the web interface, however unfortunately the interface to edit balancers after they are created is not the most accessible. I’m a screen reader user, and unfortunately modal dialogs don’t play well with screen readers unless you take a number of steps. No worries, I think, I’ll just export the config and edit the YAML directly.

Unfortunately, creating a load balancer with a default and alternate cert in the web interface, exporting its config, deleting it then recreating it via rancher-compose does not seem to create an identical balancer. Seems to not get the SSL config quite right.

If you’d like to see an example of this, run something like:

curl -kv https://vm1.thewordnerd.info -H "Host: ci.thewordnerd.info"

That’s a formerly working load balancer whose config was exported then reimported. It worked when initially created but fails now.

Thanks.

SSL termination in load balancers hasn’t been implemented in rancher-compose yet. The next release of rancher-compose will have that fixed.