Module missing in /lib/modules. Missing IPv6 Support

I am configuring SUSE 11 SP3 on new Cisco B460 M4 blades and the OS booted successfully except there are some errors on the Post Install Config.

I am not able to use IPv6 for the new servers because the module is missing fro the lib directory.

When I tried to load the ipv6 module, I get an error:
[COLOR="#FF0000"]FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.0.101-0.40-default/modules.dep: No such file or directory[/COLOR]

I also get a [COLOR="#FF0000"]Missing IPv6 Support[/COLOR] error when I try to up eth1 using ifup command.

I have checked our existing servers’ /lib/modules directory, they have the module 3.0.101-0.40-default.

My question is, can I manually copy this module to the new servers or do I need to update the server via Online Update to get this module?

Beginner in SUSE here, please advise. Greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
AJ

On 15/06/2016 07:54, ajhluciano wrote:
[color=blue]

I am configuring SUSE 11 SP3 on new Cisco B460 M4 blades and the OS
booted successfully except there are some errors on the Post Install
Config.

I am not able to use IPv6 for the new servers because the module is
missing fro the lib directory.

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.0.101-0.40-default/modules.dep: No
such file or directory

I also get a Missing IPv6 Support error when I try to up eth1 using
ifup command.

I have checked our existing servers’ /lib/modules directory, they have
the module 3.0.101-0.40-default.

My question is, can I manually copy this module to the new servers or
do I need to update the server via Online Update to get this module?

Beginner in SUSE here, please advise. Greatly appreciate any help.[/color]

From the above it sounds like you’re using “regular” SLES11 SP3 as
opposed to SUSE Linux Enterprise for SAP Applications 11 SP3 which is
what this forum is for? The output from “cat /etc/*release” will confirm.

If this is the case then I’d suggest reposting in the SLES Networking
forum @ https://forums.suse.com/forumdisplay.php?19-SLES-Networking

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

[QUOTE=smflood;32991]On 15/06/2016 07:54, ajhluciano wrote:
[color=blue]

I am configuring SUSE 11 SP3 on new Cisco B460 M4 blades and the OS
booted successfully except there are some errors on the Post Install
Config.

I am not able to use IPv6 for the new servers because the module is
missing fro the lib directory.

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.0.101-0.40-default/modules.dep: No
such file or directory

I also get a Missing IPv6 Support error when I try to up eth1 using
ifup command.

I have checked our existing servers’ /lib/modules directory, they have
the module 3.0.101-0.40-default.

My question is, can I manually copy this module to the new servers or
do I need to update the server via Online Update to get this module?

Beginner in SUSE here, please advise. Greatly appreciate any help.[/color]

From the above it sounds like you’re using “regular” SLES11 SP3 as
opposed to SUSE Linux Enterprise for SAP Applications 11 SP3 which is
what this forum is for? The output from “cat /etc/*release” will confirm.

If this is the case then I’d suggest reposting in the SLES Networking
forum @ https://forums.suse.com/forumdisplay.php?19-SLES-Networking

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner[/QUOTE]

FYI, I am using SUSE 11 Enterprise for SAP Applications SP3 x86_64 and by the way, I already fixed the issue on my own and it is not related to SLES Networking. So thanks anyways.

Regards,
AJ

Care to share the changes you made for this to work? Maybe a kernel and
libraries mismatch somehow? Maybe patches were applied but had not
rebooted yet to get the new kernel loaded?

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

[QUOTE=ab;33024]Care to share the changes you made for this to work? Maybe a kernel and
libraries mismatch somehow? Maybe patches were applied but had not
rebooted yet to get the new kernel loaded?

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…[/QUOTE]

hI AB,

I’ve had encountered 7 errors during the configuration of the OS but managed to fix them by performing a recursive secure copy of the default kernel module 3.0.101-0.40-default from our existing server to the new servers’ /lib/modules/ directory. That fixed all the issues.

Example:
[COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR] scp -r /lib/modules/3.0.101-0.40-default :/lib/modules

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
AJ

Hi AJ,

I’ve had encountered 7 errors during the configuration of the OS but managed to fix them by performing a recursive secure copy of the default kernel module 3.0.101-0.40-default from our existing server

I seriously recommend not to do this! All you’re doing is masking some other base problem.

You could check on the working server, to which RPM the missing module belongs (“rpm -qf ”) and then verify that the according RPM is installed on the problematic server. I would expect the RPM to already be available, so running “rpm -V” would be in order (either on that single RPM, for a starter - or on the whole system, to catch other problematic packages as well).

If the files were just missing because of a not installed RPM, you’ll get in trouble with the next kernel update (as the corresponding RPM - uninstalled - won’t be upgraded then. And if there were errors during RPM installation, you might as well see other RPMs affected as well, so you’d need to check es much of that as possible.

Regards,
J

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;33132]Hi AJ,

I’ve had encountered 7 errors during the configuration of the OS but managed to fix them by performing a recursive secure copy of the default kernel module 3.0.101-0.40-default from our existing server

I seriously recommend not to do this! All you’re doing is masking some other base problem.

You could check on the working server, to which RPM the missing module belongs (“rpm -qf ”) and then verify that the according RPM is installed on the problematic server. I would expect the RPM to already be available, so running “rpm -V” would be in order (either on that single RPM, for a starter - or on the whole system, to catch other problematic packages as well).

If the files were just missing because of a not installed RPM, you’ll get in trouble with the next kernel update (as the corresponding RPM - uninstalled - won’t be upgraded then. And if there were errors during RPM installation, you might as well see other RPMs affected as well, so you’d need to check es much of that as possible.

Regards,
J[/QUOTE]

Hi J,

I actually asked that on my original post, if can I manually copy that missing module from our existing server or not, but got no response. So I just copied it anyways.

By the way, the new servers are already running on 3.0.101-0.40-default but that module is missing on /lib/modules that is why I am getting the errors. Although I have cleared the errors by manually copying that missing module, will there be issues/errors the servers will encounter because of this?

Here are the outputs for the rpm -qf command you gave:

Existing Server:

The same results for our New Server. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
AJ