new SLES12: SUSE-connect rubygems error

I’m trying to register my new SLES12 VM, but I get the following error:

SUSEConnect -help
/usr/lib64/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:298:in to_specs': Could not find 'suse-connect' (= 0.2.14) among 65 total gem(s) (Gem::LoadError) from /usr/lib64/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:309:in to_spec’
from /usr/lib64/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_gem.rb:53:in gem' from /usr/sbin/SUSEConnect:22:in

If I have a look at /usr/lib64/ruby/ I see the following files:

find /usr/lib64/ruby -name \suse\
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/cache/suse-connect-0.2.14.gem
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/gem2rpm-0.10.1/templates/opensuse.spec.erb
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/suse-connect-0.2.14
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/suse-connect-0.2.14/lib/suse
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/suse-connect-0.2.14/lib/suse.rb
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.1.0/specifications/suse-connect-0.2.14.gemspec

What’s wrong?
I had to install an older version of ruby in /usr/local/rvm to allow an old web application work properly. It may be possible the error is this?

Thank for any help,
Emanuele

emanuele,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

[QUOTE=emanuele_lombardi;29222]I had to install an older version of ruby in /usr/local/rvm to allow an old web application work properly. It may be possible the error is this?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, very likely, since YaST and SUSEConnect are written in Ruby. So I suspect that the older ruby version broke the stack that SUSEConnect is relying on.

Just as an alternative idea: SuSE has been quite quick in officially supporting docker.

Ruby, to my knowledge is quite a complex system to setup. Perhaps you can find a docker image addressing your need: we implemented a dockerized installation of the discourse forum, which also requires ruby. In case of discourse, docker based install is even the only supported one.

HTH, Thomas

I’m lucky yast2 works properly.
The old version 1.8.7 of ruby in /usr/local/rvm thus I hoped it would not interfere with ruby 2.1.0 which is in /usr/lib64/ruby

Is there any other way to register my SLES12 to SUSE? May I send an email to someone of the SUSE support?

[QUOTE=emanuele_lombardi;29427]I’m lucky yast2 works properly.
The old version 1.8.7 of ruby in /usr/local/rvm thus I hoped it would not interfere with ruby 2.1.0 which is in /usr/lib64/ruby

Is there any other way to register my SLES12 to SUSE? May I send an email to someone of the SUSE support?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the following?

yast inst_suse_register

it doesn’t work. I also tryed with yast2, same result.

yast inst_suse_register
No such client module inst_suse_register
The search path follows. It does not include the current directory.
/y2update/clients
/root/.yast2/clients
/usr/share/YaST2/clients

Run ‘yast2 -h’ for help on usage

After a lot of tests, I found out that, in my system,
SUSEConnect [COLOR="#800000"]doesn’t work [/COLOR] if root login shell is [COLOR="#800000"]/bin/bash[/COLOR] but
SUSEConnect [COLOR="#800000"]works[/COLOR] when root login shell is [COLOR="#800000"]/bin/sh[/COLOR] (!)
I didn’t test other login shells, but it could be interesting, if I had time.

I still have problems registering my system, problems related to repositories and I’m going to create a new post about it.
Thanks to everybody who helped.

Emanuele