no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Hi,

I’m new to suse and I have the following problem as written in the title. I’m posting some outputs below for describing the error and I’m trying to install a unixodbc driver.

hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # ./configure checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p checking for gawk... gawk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes checking for gawk... (cached) gawk checking for bison... no checking for byacc... no checking for style of include used by make... GNU checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no checking for cl.exe... no configure: error: in `/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2': configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH See `config.log' for more details

hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # echo $PATH /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin

[CODE]hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±--------------------------------------±--------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±------±--------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | OSS | OSS | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
2 | SLES-for-SAP-Applications 11.3.3-1.17 | SLES-for-SAP-Applications 11.3.3-1.17 | No | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |[/CODE]

hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # uname -a Linux hana 3.0.76-0.11-default #1 SMP Fri Jun 14 08:21:43 UTC 2013 (ccab990) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[CODE]hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # zypper install gcc
Retrieving repository ‘OSS’ metadata [\]
Timeout exceeded when accessing ‘http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/repodata/repomd.xml’.

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (r):
Autoselecting ‘r’ after 11 seconds.[/CODE]

Is it a network problem or something else?

Regards,
Ogan

[QUOTE=oganozdogan;27790]Hi,

I’m new to suse and I have the following problem as written in the title. I’m posting some outputs below for describing the error and I’m trying to install a unixodbc driver.

hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # ./configure checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p checking for gawk... gawk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes checking for gawk... (cached) gawk checking for bison... no checking for byacc... no checking for style of include used by make... GNU checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no checking for cl.exe... no configure: error: in `/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2': configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH See `config.log' for more details

hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # echo $PATH /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin

[CODE]hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±--------------------------------------±--------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±------±--------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | OSS | OSS | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
2 | SLES-for-SAP-Applications 11.3.3-1.17 | SLES-for-SAP-Applications 11.3.3-1.17 | No | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |[/CODE]

hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # uname -a Linux hana 3.0.76-0.11-default #1 SMP Fri Jun 14 08:21:43 UTC 2013 (ccab990) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[CODE]hana:/myodbcdrivers/unixODBC-2.3.2 # zypper install gcc
Retrieving repository ‘OSS’ metadata [\]
Timeout exceeded when accessing ‘http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/repodata/repomd.xml’.

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (r):
Autoselecting ‘r’ after 11 seconds.[/CODE]

Is it a network problem or something else?

Regards,
Ogan[/QUOTE]
Yikes, using an 11.4 repository on SLES??? Those repositories for 11.4 are probably non-existent now, plus need to be disabled. You need the install media (repository #2) to install gcc.

Has this system ever been registered or updated? You probably also need the SLE 11 SP3 SDK as well.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;27792]Yikes, using an 11.4 repository on SLES??? Those repositories for 11.4 are probably non-existent now, plus need to be disabled. You need the install media (repository #2) to install gcc.

Has this system ever been registered or updated? You probably also need the SLE 11 SP3 SDK as well.[/QUOTE]

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for the message.

Like I said, I’m very new to Suse and barely understood what you ment from the message :slight_smile: Technically speaking, what are the steps to your suggestion? Shall I change the repo by using zypper or find an Enterprise Suse media or just download and install the SP3 SDK?

Regards,
Ogan

Hi
I’m assuming this is a handover system and been running for a while?

I would disable repository #1 for a start and then you need to find the media used for repository #2, from memory gcc should be on there and see how it goes.

You will probably find you need some other development packages, which are generally on the SDK (just DVD1 for your arch);
https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=hF8sRGTVC04~

If you copy the iso image to the system somewhere it can be added as a local repository via YaST add on products.

Do you know if you have a current update subscription on the system, if so it should be registered to obtain updates etc.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;27794]Hi
I’m assuming this is a handover system and been running for a while?

I would disable repository #1 for a start and then you need to find the media used for repository #2, from memory gcc should be on there and see how it goes.

You will probably find you need some other development packages, which are generally on the SDK (just DVD1 for your arch);
https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=hF8sRGTVC04~

If you copy the iso image to the system somewhere it can be added as a local repository via YaST add on products.

Do you know if you have a current update subscription on the system, if so it should be registered to obtain updates etc.[/QUOTE]

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, that is a test system.

I’m now downloading SP3 for Suse 11 (DVD1) and will see how it goes. I am going to amend the path via Yast and try to install gcc again.

Thank you.

Hi Ogan,

I am going to amend the path via Yast

please use Yast - Software - “Add-on product” to add the SDK ISO to your system.

After having installed gcc, your software compile will probably require a couple of “-devel” packages: Whenever the configure (or compile) run misses i.e. libs or header files, look for and install the corresponding software package in its “-devel” version. This will add header and library files provided by that software.

BTW, while I don’t know your specific requirements - have you seen that SLES 11 SP3 does contain unixODBC in version 2.3.1?

[CODE]server:~ # zypper se -s unixODBC_23
Refreshing service ‘SMT-http_some_server’.
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
–±------------------±--------±-------------±-------±------------------
| unixODBC_23 | package | 2.3.1-0.9.40 | x86_64 | SLES11-SP3-Pool
| unixODBC_23-devel | package | 2.3.1-0.9.40 | x86_64 | SLE11-SDK-SP3-Pool
server:~ #[/CODE]
Regards,
Jens