No sound after upgrading from SLED 12 SP3 to SLED 15 SP1

When I go to YaST Control Center | Sound I see two sound controllers listed:
0 - Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
1 - 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller

Driver for both reported as snd-hda-intel.

I cannot get sound from either. Neither will play a test sound. Both are enabled for PulseAudio.

Changing the default controller has no effect.

If I click on the setting icon in the system tray and choose Sound, there are no devices listed for sound output.

Everything I’ve found online related to this problem has had to do with missing packages or libraries. But everything suggested there does not apply in this case. I have all of those packages and libraries installed already.

Suggestions?

-Barry.

Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
Do you see output from the following commands;

aplay -l
pacmd list-sinks

Malcom-

[CODE]# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:272: no soundcards found…

pacmd list-sinks

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
[/CODE]

Thanks.

-Barry.

Hi
Is there any output from the following command as root user;

hwinfo --sound

Can you also check the system BIOS to ensure sound is not disabled somewhere.

Malcom-

[CODE]# hwinfo --sound
10: PCI 03.0: 0403 Audio device
[Created at pci.386]
Unique ID: 3hqH.Ozp+eJSyI99
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:00:03.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: “Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller”
Vendor: pci 0x8086 “Intel Corporation”
Device: pci 0x0c0c “Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller”
SubVendor: pci 0x1028 “Dell”
SubDevice: pci 0x05a4
Revision: 0x06
Memory Range: 0xf7d14000-0xf7d17fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 16 (29 events)
Module Alias: “pci:v00008086d00000C0Csv00001028sd000005A4bc04sc03i00”
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is not active
Driver Activation Cmd: “modprobe snd_hda_intel”
Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

22: PCI 1b.0: 0403 Audio device
[Created at pci.386]
Unique ID: u1Nb.gujugKemWd6
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1b.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: “Intel 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller”
Vendor: pci 0x8086 “Intel Corporation”
Device: pci 0x8c20 “8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller”
SubVendor: pci 0x1028 “Dell”
SubDevice: pci 0x05a4
Revision: 0x04
Memory Range: 0xf7d10000-0xf7d13fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 22 (no events)
Module Alias: “pci:v00008086d00008C20sv00001028sd000005A4bc04sc03i00”
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is not active
Driver Activation Cmd: “modprobe snd_hda_intel”
Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
[/CODE]

If it was working before I upgraded I don’t see how that could have changed in the BIOS. Nevertheless, I will check it as soon as I’m able to.

Thanks.

-Barry.

Malcom-

Sound is enabled in the BIOS.

-Barry.

[QUOTE=BStJohn;58762]Malcom-

Sound is enabled in the BIOS.

-Barry.[/QUOTE]
Hi
As root user if you run;

modprobe snd_hda_intel

Then run those test commands again…

If it works can you check through the output of;

journalctl -b

This may highlight if the sound device is found and why it’s not loading the module.

Malcom-

#modprobe snd_hda_intel

That had an effect:

# aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3220 Analog [ALC3220 Analog] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

But still nothing here:

pacmd list-sinks No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

[QUOTE=BStJohn;58767]Malcom-

#modprobe snd_hda_intel

That had an effect:

# aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3220 Analog [ALC3220 Analog] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

But still nothing here:

pacmd list-sinks No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon. [/QUOTE]
Hi
OK, so if you run;

/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start

Does that start the daemon?

Malcom-

Yes! Being as I was logged in as root I had to supply the --system parameter. I think that must be new from 12 to 15, that it won’t run as root unless you intentionally configure it that way.

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t be running as root all the time. Do as I say, not as I do, right? :wink: I’ve set up a regular user account and I’ll try it out that way.

Thanks for your help!

-Barry.

[QUOTE=BStJohn;58769]Malcom-

Yes! Being as I was logged in as root I had to supply the --system parameter. I think that must be new from 12 to 15, that it won’t run as root unless you intentionally configure it that way.

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t be running as root all the time. Do as I say, not as I do, right? :wink: I’ve set up a regular user account and I’ll try it out that way.

Thanks for your help!

-Barry.[/QUOTE]
Hi
So on a reboot and as a normal user does everything start up and work? If so, then as you suspected being root is a little more restrictive…

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;58770]Hi
So on a reboot and as a normal user does everything start up and work? If so, then as you suspected being root is a little more restrictive…[/QUOTE]

Well, it probably would have had I not mucked it up. While copying content from the root user profile to the new regular user profile I did something – I’m not sure what – that rendered the machine unusable. It just hangs at a certain point during boot leaving me with a blank screen.

So after booting into rescue mode and trying to figure out what I had done, I decided it would just be faster to recover my critical data start over with a clean slate by reinstalling SLED 15 SP1 from scratch. That way I drop any potential baggage carried forward from all of the previous upgrades.

Just the same, your help is very much appreciated!

-Barry.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;58770]Hi
So on a reboot and as a normal user does everything start up and work? [/QUOTE]

Malcom-

I suspect the initial problem had to do with the upgrade, either with some pre-existing issue, or something that went wrong during the upgrade. Since doing the clean install of SLED 15 SP1 I can login as a regular user and sound works just fine.

Thanks again for all your help!

-Barry.

[QUOTE=BStJohn;58799]Malcom-

I suspect the initial problem had to do with the upgrade, either with some pre-existing issue, or something that went wrong during the upgrade. Since doing the clean install of SLED 15 SP1 I can login as a regular user and sound works just fine.

Thanks again for all your help!

-Barry.[/QUOTE]
Hi
Thanks for the feedback and your welcome :slight_smile: