nvidia hardway method can't find the kernel source path

hello guys,
the nvidia nouveau built-in driver for sled11sp2 is not working properly with my computer. the 1024x768 resolution doesn’t show correctly in my screen. i had opensuse 11.2 last week and it worked like a charm with the proprietary nvidia driver.

after the new installation to sled11sp2, i can’t find a way to install the proprietary nvidia driver. when installing, it says that the driver can’t find the kernel-source-path (for kernel.h or something like that). and that’s kind of weird as i have already installed gcc, make, kernel-devel-pae, kernel-source, etc.

i tried re-reading from http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Nvidia_the_hard_way and i still can’t get it to work/install.

any help from you guys to solve this issue is highly appreciated.
warm regards,
Omar

Hi
I upgraded my desktop from SP1 to SP2 last week and all is fine in
nvidia world…

Normally I grab the one direct from nvidia.

Then;

su -
init 3
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.33.run -aq

In your case run;

sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

init 5 && exit

You may need to blacklist nouveau.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 1 day 7:53, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

thank you malcolm for your quick reply. :rolleyes:
after viewing your message i realized i was installing an old/outdated version of the nvidia driver.

after downloading/installing the newest one with the steps above, everything works beautifully again.
SLED11SP2 is a very polished distro. i LOVE it. they have system sounds back (great!).

now off-topic: if i want to install other rpms for programs/games, which rpm version should i use? (the ones from opensuse12.1, 11.4, 11.3,11.2?)
which one qualifies for SLED11sp2 in order not to break things or have dependency problems?

thanks again!
Omar

Hi
Only ones for either SP1 or SP2 :wink: Add the SDK as well…

Are there some specific rpms, do you use the Open Build Service and or
packman?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 1 day 19:58, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU