php53-sockets

I need to upgrade a PHP installation on SLES11 SP2 from 5.2.14 to 5.3.8, and I need the sockets extension. When I originally installed this server, I couldn’t go with PHP 5.3 exactly because the sockets extension was only available for PHP 5.2. Now I found TID7000141 where it says that php53-sockets ‘has been released via the update repository’ for SLES11 SP2 SDK. Sounds promising, but can someone explain how can I access this repository? My server is properly registered with Novell Customer Center and can receive updates, but searching the updates for ‘php53’ yields only one update which is not the sockets extension. I guess I need to add something under ‘Installation Sources’ in YaST, but I don’t know the repository URL…

Hi vatson,

via the update repository’ for SLES11 SP2 SDK […] can someone explain how can I access this repository?

if you download the SDK (a non-charge add-on product) and install it via YaST (there’s an option to install add-ons), the according repositories are added automatically.

Regards,
Jens

Thanks for your reply, Jens. It seems that I am still missing a step somewhere. The repositories now include ‘SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Software-Development-Kit-11-SP2_11.2.2-1.66’, which as I understand is the content on SDK DVD, but there doesn’t seem to be a corresponding online update repository:

[CODE]# zypper lr

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh

—±------------------------------------------------------------------±------------------------------------------------------------------±--------±-------
1 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234 | Yes | Yes
2 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Software-Development-Kit-11-SP2_11.2.2-1.66 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Software-Development-Kit-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.66 | Yes | No
3 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes
4 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes
5 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core | SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core | No | Yes
6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes
7 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Pool | SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Pool | No | Yes
8 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Updates | SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Updates | No | Yes
9 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-Extras | SLES11-Extras | No | Yes
10 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Pool | SLES11-SP1-Pool | Yes | Yes
11 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Updates | SLES11-SP1-Updates | Yes | Yes
12 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Core | SLES11-SP2-Core | Yes | Yes
13 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store | SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store | Yes | Yes
14 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Updates | SLES11-SP2-Updates | Yes | Yes[/CODE]

Hi vatson,

please try to re-run the NCC registration (no need to re-enter the registration code, though), seems I forgot that step is required :[

Regards,
Jens

Thanks for the advice, Jens.

I re-ran the NCC registration, but it completed with message “The repositories did not need to be changed” and the update repository for SLE SDK still was not added. Fortunately, I could just download the necessary php53-sockets rpm via download.novell.com, so we can consider the problem “solved”. This was actually the first thing that I tried before attempting to configure the repository, but I didn’t realize in the beginning that I should search for updates for “SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit”, not “SUSE Linux Enterprise Server”.

Hi vatson,

[QUOTE=vatson;17395]Thanks for the advice, Jens.

I re-ran the NCC registration, but it completed with message “The repositories did not need to be changed” and the update repository for SLE SDK still was not added.[/QUOTE]

this is strange - you did add the SDK as an add-on product, rather than just adding the ISO as an repository? I suggest fixing this situation, although you consider your actual problem solved - that way you’ll get at least notifications of available updates and profit from dependency checks concerning interdependant SDK/base updates.

Regards,
Jens

vatson wrote:
[color=blue]

I re-ran the NCC registration, but it completed with message “The
repositories did not need to be changed” and the update repository for
SLE SDK still was not added. Fortunately, I could just download the
necessary php53-sockets rpm via download.novell.com, so we can consider
the problem “solved”. This was actually the first thing that I tried
before attempting to configure the repository, but I didn’t realize in
the beginning that I should search for updates for “SUSE Linux
Enterprise Software Development Kit”, not “SUSE Linux Enterprise
Server”.[/color]

I suspect that the reason NCC registration thinks all is okay is because it
doesn’t recognise the SDK product is installed and since it’s optional
doesn’t care. What does “zypper se -t product” report? I’m guessing nothing
relating to the SDK.

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

Here’s the output:

[CODE]# zypper se -t product
Refreshing service ‘nu_novell_com’.
Empty destination in URI: hd:///?device=/dev/xvdd&filesystem=auto

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): i
Error retrieving metadata for ‘SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234’:
SKIP request: User-requested skipping of a file
Warning: Disabling repository ‘SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234’ because of the above error.
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±------------------------±------------------------------------------------------±-------
i | SUSE_SLES | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 | product
| SUSE_SLES-SP2-migration | SUSE_SLES Service Pack 2 Migration Product | product
| SUSE_SLES-SP3-migration | SUSE_SLES Service Pack 3 Migration Product | product
| sle-sdk | SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 11 SP2 | product
[/CODE]

How good it felt to see the good old abort/retry/ignore prompt :slight_smile:

vatson wrote:
[color=blue]

Here’s the output:

Code:

# zypper se -t product

Refreshing service ‘nu_novell_com’.
Empty destination in URI: hd:///?device=/dev/xvdd&filesystem=auto

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): i
Error retrieving metadata for ‘SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234’:
SKIP request: User-requested skipping of a file
Warning: Disabling repository ‘SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2
11.2.2-1.234’ because of the above error.
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Summary
| Type

–±------------------------±------------------------------------------------------±-------
i | SUSE_SLES | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2
| product
| SUSE_SLES-SP2-migration | SUSE_SLES Service Pack 2 Migration Product
| product
| SUSE_SLES-SP3-migration | SUSE_SLES Service Pack 3 Migration Product
| product
| sle-sdk | SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development
Kit 11 SP2 | product

--------------------[/color]

Hmm zypper appears to think the SLE SDK is installed (whilst “sle-sdk”
being lowercase looks odd it’s correct). I’m at SUSECon this week so don’t
have full access to my test systems.
[color=blue]

How good it felt to see the good old abort/retry/ignore prompt :)[/color]

That’s because it can’t access the media for SLES11 SP2.

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

Hi Simon, hi vatson,

Hmm zypper appears to think the SLE SDK is installed

to me the missing “i” in column 1 seems to indicate that the ISO was added, but the SDK not installed as an add-on product.

Regards,
Jens

Hi did you resolve this. I need sockets for PHP53 but cannot find it listed.

The php53-sockets package is in the SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit (SLE-SDK). Have you added the SLE-SDK to your repos? If not, that’s why you don’t see the php53-sockets package listed :wink:

You can download the SLE-SDK ISO from
https://download.suse.com/
You need to match the version to whichever version of SLES you are using. You only need to download DVD1.

hI ALL, i need to instal php53-sockets in my SLES 11 server but i cant doit …

ive downloaded SLES 11 SP3 DVD 1 , added in yast as an ADDON Product…

i can see it in repositories listed …

but when ive browse it trough YAST i cant see the packages php53-sockets listed ???

but when ive open the ISO of the SDK , ive found the rpm listed for php53-sockets , ive extracted but i cant install due dependencies.

Why , i cant see it and install easyli trough Yast?

Thanks in advance

Sebas

solved, i was using a different hw version for the sdk