postfix/postdrop error messageseating up space on the server

Hi Guys,

We are using:
Novell Access Manager - Access Gateway Appliance 3.1.2 (i586)
VERSION = 3.1
PATCHLEVEL = 2
SLES 11
postfix version
Version : 2.5.6

We are getting error
postfix/postdrop[28527]: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/646293.28527: No space left on device
It is eating up space on /var/log/ directory.
We cleared the file, but it fills up again. We have stopped postfix service, but due to that postdrop service has started and killing it wont stop.
Can anyone please tell how to stop postdrop service??

Hi agarud,

[QUOTE=agarud;21954]Hi Guys,

We are using:
Novell Access Manager - Access Gateway Appliance 3.1.2 (i586)
VERSION = 3.1
PATCHLEVEL = 2
SLES 11
postfix version
Version : 2.5.6

We are getting error
postfix/postdrop[28527]: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/646293.28527: No space left on device
It is eating up space on /var/log/ directory.
We cleared the file, but it fills up again. We have stopped postfix service, but due to that postdrop service has started and killing it wont stop.
Can anyone please tell how to stop postdrop service??[/QUOTE]

you might want to join the discussions a few threads below… https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?4862-Messages-from-postfox-postdrop-filling-up-space-on-server

a - stopping Postfix ought to have stopped at least new postdrop processes from starting
b - main cause seems that postdrop has been running out of disk space

So filling up /var/log/ is only a secondary effect.

I’ve made some suggestions in the other thread, perhaps those apply to your situation as well?

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;21956]Hi agarud,

you might want to join the discussions a few threads below… https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?4862-Messages-from-postfox-postdrop-filling-up-space-on-server

a - stopping Postfix ought to have stopped at least new postdrop processes from starting

So filling up /var/log/ is only a secondary effect.

I’ve made some suggestions in the other thread, perhaps those apply to your situation as well?

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

Hi jens,

NO it has not stopped new postdrop processes. they are growing as in couple of hundreds.

00:00:01 /usr/sbin/postdrop -r
00:00:00 /usr/sbin/postdrop -r
I have killed all the postdrop processes but it still doesnot stop.

We have sufficient space available in our server. 2.4GB

And also on more thing the postfix service seems to crash when we start it again. It starts but when we check it seems to be unused.

agarud

Hi agarud,

[QUOTE=agarud;21962]Hi jens,
NO it has not stopped new postdrop processes. they are growing as in couple of hundreds.

00:00:00 /usr/sbin/postdrop -r
I have killed all the postdrop processes but it still doesnot stop.[/QUOTE]

then who’s starting them? Who’s the parent? Did the postfix master process (/usr/lib/postfix/master) actually stop, assuming that you “stopped” it via “rcpostfix stop”?

[QUOTE=agarud;21962]b - main cause seems that postdrop has been running out of disk space
We have sufficient space available in our server. 2.4GB[/QUOTE]

Is that only a single file system? What’s in your message queue that postdrop tries to deliver? Do you have any intermediate actions, like virus scanning, that may be suffering from “mail bomb” attacks?

That seems to suggest that it didn’t stop in the first place, which fits your description concerning postdrop.

Did you run any recent updates that may have somehow contributed to this situation? Yours is the second report in a few days that describes similar symptoms, and I find it puzzling that postdrop reports “out of disk space” when you say you have plenty of it available.

Let’s get into the details so we can fix this!

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;21963]Hi agarud,

then who’s starting them? Who’s the parent? Did the postfix master process (/usr/lib/postfix/master) actually stop, assuming that you “stopped” it via “rcpostfix stop”?

Is that only a single file system? What’s in your message queue that postdrop tries to deliver? Do you have any intermediate actions, like virus scanning, that may be suffering from “mail bomb” attacks?

That seems to suggest that it didn’t stop in the first place, which fits your description concerning postdrop.

Did you run any recent updates that may have somehow contributed to this situation? Yours is the second report in a few days that describes similar symptoms, and I find it puzzling that postdrop reports “out of disk space” when you say you have plenty of it available.

Let’s get into the details so we can fix this!

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

hi Jens,

Could you please let me know what other details are requires from My end.

agarud

Hi agarud,

let’s start with answers to my questions, you quoted them :wink:

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=agarud;21967]hi Jens,

agarud[/QUOTE]

Not sure of the parent.we stopped postfix via /etc/init.d/postfix stop. but when we start the process it comes up for a while and aafter sometime its status is shown as unused, not sure why? could this be the cause and also tried to stop postdrp fom its directory but getting the following erro message even when checking the status of the service;
“postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/810678.24261: No space left on device”.

This is not a single file system as below:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 5.0G 2.6G 2.2G 54% /
udev 937M 108K 937M 1% /dev
/dev/sda1 69M 28M 38M 43% /boot
/dev/sda6 5.0G 3.2G 1.6G 68% /var

and /var is continously increasing in size.

as per your last qusetion there is no virus scanning and there were no updated done on thiss server.

what could be our next course of action. would restarting the server help or should i just refrain from it.

Thanks
agarud