Problem with SSL termination in HAProxy LB

I have a default install of RancherOS 1.5.5 on a bare metal local server which uses DHCP for LAN networking and has a set hostname and is allocated a fixed IP by my LAN router. All seems OK and I am trying to get SSL termination to work.

Because my ISP has not assigned my fixed IP address yet I am using a “hosts” file on my desktop PC which I windows 7 based. The hosts file is as follows (the only uncommented line is the one for “myhost.net” :

hosts_file_begins
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
192.168.1.82 myhost.net
hosts_file_ends

I can ping my bare metal server on its allocated IP address and also via myhost.net. All seems fine with this.

For my web server I made a default install of Wordpress stack and upgraded the lb container to haproxy:v0.9.13 in the Rancher UI

Access*         Protocol*        Request Host       Port*        Path       Target*               Port*
Public             HTTP            myhost.net        82                      wordpress7             80
Public             HTTP            myhost.net        83                      wordpress7             80

access via “http://myhost.net:82” and via “http://myhost.net:83” both work fine and I get the default Wordpress pages and can log in and edit etc without any problems.

I have added a LetsEncrypt key and certificate (generated from zerossl.com’s website) “AllMyDomains(myhost.net +3 others)” which has been entered in Infrastructure/Certificates.

If I change the second line to HTTPS :

Access*         Protocol*        Request Host       Port*        Path       Target*               Port*
Public             HTTP             myhost.net       82                     wordpress7             80
Public             HTTPS           myhost.net        83                     wordpress7             80

Then access to the Wordpress website stops and the Haproxy LB falls over. After a reboot it seems that the LB service initialises OK but reinitialises repeatedly at around 1 minute intervals. The Wordpress-lb log from the Rancher UI is as follows :

Date Level Event Description
04:29:11 PM INFO service.update.info Service reconciled: Requested: 1, Created: 1, Unhealthy: 0, Bad: 0, Incomplete: 0
04:28:56 PM INFO service.instance.create Creating extra service instance
04:28:56 PM INFO service.update.wait (15 sec) Waiting for instances to start
04:28:55 PM INFO service.update.info Requested: 1, Created: 0, Unhealthy: 0, Bad: 0, Incomplete: 0
04:28:55 PM INFO service.update (16 sec) Updating service
04:28:54 PM INFO service.trigger.info Requested: 1, Created: 0, Unhealthy: 0, Bad: 0, Incomplete: 0
04:28:53 PM INFO service.trigger (1 sec) Re-evaluating state

Any ideas what I am doing wrong and what I should change to make it work ?

Many thanks,