Process to resize the / "root" filesystem

Hi mikenash,

Is your PV on one of the three DASD volumes? (BTW, is this on some host system, like System Z - or is the DASD term (“direct access storage device”)) some remnant from old times, used by IBMers in the x86 world nowadays?) If this is on x86, check the output of “mkinitrd” - it should list the feature “lvm2” (but likely doesn’t), so you might give it a try to tell mkinitrd manually to include that specific feature (via “mkinitrd -f lvm2”) into the “initial ram disk”.

Regards,
Jens

Sorry Jens, pasted the wrong fstab file. I have tried the mount with various options besides default.
/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.15c0-part1 /boot/zipl ext2 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.15c0-part2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.15c0-part3 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/pool1/lvusr /usr ext4 defaults 1 1

Hi mikenash,

from your other reply (with the updated /etc/fstab) I read that we’re talking about System Z here. There may be specifics about SUSE on System Z that I don’t know, that will prevent mounting /usr from LVM during the boot process - did the service request turn up anything useful yet?

Regards,
Jens

Hello Jens, the dasd are 3390-mod 9 volumes on system z. Two volumes at addresses 0600 and 0601 are LVM volumes. The volume at 15C0 is the Linux system volume. I did not find any restrictions with using the LVM volumes for this directory in the Administration or Deployment Guides. This is the only restriction I found in the Chapter 15 Deployment guide. Warning: File System for Booting The file system used for booting (the root file system or /boot ) must not be stored on an LVM logical volume. Instead, store it on a normal physical partition. For more details about LVM, see Book “Storage Administration Guide” . I have not received any feedback from the serviced request.

I opend a defect for this problem: Bug 125666 has been added to the database: https://bugzilla.linux.ibm.com/show_bug.cgi?id=125666

Bug 125666 has been added to the database: https://bugzilla.linux.ibm.com/show_bug.cgi?id=125666

just for the records - that appears to be a bug tracker that’s internal to IBM, so non-IBMers won’t be able to access.

Regards,
Jens

SUSE932951- Unable to use LVM volume on /usr directory (dracut?)
I have made some progress on this problem.
Using the following process I was able to successfully IPL the Suse 12 operating system.
Updated dracut-037-37.2.s390x to dracut-037-49.1.s390x.rpm. This may not be needed.
Edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and set use_lvmetad=1 then systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.socket.
Create a LVM volume and copy the contents of /usr on to it.
Update /etc//fstab and mount the LVM volume on /usr.
Issue dracut -f --fstab --debug > initrd_gen 2>&1.
Issue mkinitrd.
Issue grub2-zipl-setup.
I am not sure if all steps are require but I was successful with this process.
I have found no documentation for the grub2-zipl-setup command and I have ask Suse for more information.
I think I should be able to create a LVM volume and use it without having to run these additional commands. I am able to create and use them on other directories without these additional command. If there are restrictions or requirements for specific directories then there needs to be documentation and have asked Suse for their input to explain this.