Salt Stack Integration

Hello

Im currently avaluating Emterprise Manager 3
With it, I was interested in how SALT was integrated into it.

A couple of observations.
Once a client has been onboarded, and then becomes a salt minion, its Base System Type changes from Management to Salt.
When this happens, you cant then push out any patches, as it gives this error:
“At least one system in the set does not have the management System type: Some actions will not be available”

Is this be design?

When I create a salt state, and apply it to a registered managed guest, I cant seem to be able to check for any actions related to this state.
I also cant find anything in the logs?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

The message about “At least one system…” is by design; it basically indicates that you are trying to work with two types of systems at once, and when SUSE Manager 3.0 originally came out that had very limited functionality; since then the functionality has grown, so the limitations are fewer, but they still exist, and this is a nice helpful warning to let you know why you may see fewer options than you expect with ONLY “managed” systems (non-Salt minions). Note that, at least when I tested here, I was still able to apply patches to all systems in the system group, despite the warning which continued through to the end, along with the confirmation of the patch being scheduled.

Regarding the salt state applied to a managed guest, you cannot do that. States are exclusive to Salt, and non-minions do not have Salt, so that will never work.

Hi

thanks for the reply.

Just for some background. I have 1 SALT managed server, and 1 normal managed server/
The update testing I was doing was targeting 1 server at a time.
With the single SALT managed server, I was not able to update it due to teh error.

With the salt stage question, I was applying that only to the SALT managed server - so the questions about monitoring etc still apply

Regards

[QUOTE=twginfrastructure;35153]Hi

thanks for the reply.

Just for some background. I have 1 SALT managed server, and 1 normal managed server/
The update testing I was doing was targeting 1 server at a time.
With the single SALT managed server, I was not able to update it due to teh error.

With the salt stage question, I was applying that only to the SALT managed server - so the questions about monitoring etc still apply

Regards[/QUOTE]

It seems that in order to apply a State or any change via SSM using Salt to several systems at the same time you need first to add those systems to a System Group, then apply the change to that System Group. Now with the current version 3.0.3 you should be able to apply them without a System Group, but I need to check it out first.