SLES, Kernel Debuginfo packages - Need to download them.

Hello,

Just in case no one looks at the old post. Started this new thread.

I need to install read crash dump on SLES SP1, SP2, and SP3 and want to do it from the same server, I’m assuming if I have the correct kernel-debuginfo* packages,
even if the OS is running SP3, it will still read crash dumps taken from SP2 and SP1 kernels?

But where on earth can you get the repos added. I can’t even find out where to download them. Do you really have to have a license subscription to get the packages? and even then where are they located.

Thanks.

Hi
It was seen and replied too in part :wink:

If you check the Customer Center → My Products → Mirror Credentials
shows the user name and password, plus the URL’s (which includes the
debuginfo ones). Yes you need an active subscription to get updates
etc…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hi suse986,

[QUOTE=suse986;20400]Hello,

Just in case no one looks at the old post. Started this new thread.[/QUOTE]

Too late - I saw the one one first :smiley: Here’s a copy of my answer…

Do you really have to have a license subscription to get the packages?

You need to have your system registered, which can be also be done with a free 60-day trial license. Registering the system will add the repositories to your system - if you ever loose those, i.e. because you delete them manually, simply rerun suse_register without any parameters to get them re-added.

You may have to configure proxy settings (both in ~root/.curlrc and in /etc/sysconfig/proxy) to reach the registration service and repositories, depending on your setup. If your site is using an SMT server or SUSE Manager as a registration/update focal point, please contact that server’s admin for details.

Regards,
Jens

Many thanks for the response Malcolm :slight_smile: May have to get a subscription for this and then revisit this.

hi Jens, Thank you for the response. The sixty days might work, but it will have to go through major CAB Change authorization board to open up firewall ports and configure iptables on the server for this suse xen VM server to get to the suse network to register the server. I thought i might be able to grab them individually to save on red tape. Maybe if possible create an opensuse server and do it that way, as long as I can read these crash dumps, as the moment I run the crash utility and it says the kernel debuginfo is not available.

I’ll have to decide the route to take, but Appreciate the reply…

Kind Regards.

Hi
Yes, you can grab them, the mirror credentials (username/password) and
the enter the url in a browser will get you to the repository.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!