SLES11SP2 BTRFS and Clonezille

Hi ;
As I understand it the suggested file system for the root ‘/’ not /boot is BTRFS, since it will snap the configuration when you go into and out of YAST and you can restore. All well and good. When installing I configured my FSTAB to uuid, I just practiced upgrading.
I am now ready to start configuring my servers and I go to clonezilla then and I am receiving the following error:
Clonezilla version 6/26 precise:
Reading Super Block
couldn’t open because of unsupported option features (a).
partclone.btrfs: btrfs/disk-io.c:682: open_ctree_fd: Addertion ‘!(1)’ failed.
Checking the disk space…
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
(Then in red text)
Something went wrong!!!
(The red text is a nice touch :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bcomegys;9327]Hi ;
As I understand it the suggested file system for the root ‘/’ not /boot is BTRFS, since it will snap the configuration when you go into and out of YAST and you can restore. All well and good. When installing I configured my FSTAB to uuid, I just practiced upgrading.
I am now ready to start configuring my servers and I go to clonezilla then and I am receiving the following error:
Clonezilla version 6/26 precise:
Reading Super Block
couldn’t open because of unsupported option features (a).
partclone.btrfs: btrfs/disk-io.c:682: open_ctree_fd: Addertion ‘!(1)’ failed.
Checking the disk space…
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
(Then in red text)
Something went wrong!!!
(The red text is a nice touch :)[/QUOTE]

Hi and welcome!

btrfs is indeed supported and recommended, as it’s still a young filesystem and development is quite active do take care not to use it as location to store your real (user) data. It should be fine to use for the OS bit, as you already mentioned has a great advantage of multiple roll-back options.

Why Clonezilla is having issues, not sure as the default options are used when installing SUSE. Have you maybe applied any extra btrfs options?

In any case, I’d opt to drop a question at the Clonezilla forums and/or mailing lists (as mentioned on the left side menu at http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php).
As Clonezilla devs hang out there, you might find help/a solution quicker.

Cheers,
Willem

[QUOTE=Magic31;9345]Hi and welcome!

btrfs is indeed supported and recommended, as it’s still a young filesystem and development is quite active do take care not to use it as location to store your real (user) data. It should be fine to use for the OS bit, as you already mentioned has a great advantage of multiple roll-back options.

Why Clonezilla is having issues, not sure as the default options are used when installing SUSE. Have you maybe applied any extra btrfs options?

In any case, I’d opt to drop a question at the Clonezilla forums and/or mailing lists (as mentioned on the left side menu at http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php).
As Clonezilla devs hang out there, you might find help/a solution quicker.

Cheers,
Willem[/QUOTE]

Hi ;
I did not use any extra btrfs options, I did change the fstab mount to uuid. Since during an upgrade the defaults cannot be used.
I dropped a note here hoping to make Novell aware of the issues since btrfs is a new filesystem and Novell is recommending btrfs.