SLES12 - missing php5 or cyrus-imapd package

Good morning,
we plan to offline update SLES11 SP3 to SLES12. I’ve installed SLES12 on another machine now for testing purpose and I missisng cyrus-imapd and php5 packages. SLES12 is registred (60-day trial from today). Did I missed something ?
Avaible repos:
email5:~ # l /etc/zypp/repos.d/
celkem 20
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 524 4.*bře 11.43 ./
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 168 4.*bře 11.43 …/
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 148 4.*bře 11.44 SLES12-12-0.repo
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 463 4.*bře 11.44 SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64:SLES12-Debuginfo-Pool.repo
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 463 4.*bře 11.44 SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64:SLES12-Debuginfo-Updates.repo
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 427 4.*bře 11.44 SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64:SLES12-Pool.repo
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 427 4.*bře 11.44 SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64:SLES12-Updates.repo

Thanks and best regards
J.Karliak

Sorry, php5 is solved - added repo sle-module-web-scripting-… pool

Why is this is another repo ?

Thanks
J.K.

On 04/03/2015 09:54, josefkarliak wrote:
[color=blue]

Sorry, php5 is solved - added repo sle-module-web-scripting-… pool[/color]

Yes, PHP5 is available via the Web & Scripting Module.

As for cyrus-imapd, as per the SLES12 Release Notes[1] SLES12 does not
offer that package and advises users should consider migrating to Dovecot.
[color=blue]

Why is this is another repo ?[/color]

So it can be kept updated on a separate support schedule to the base
SLES OS. See
https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/modules-bridging-gap-turtle-hare/

HTH.

[1] https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-316247

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

Hi,
thanks for the answer - but : WTF why ???
Cyrus imapd is used worldwide, why this jump to the blackhole? In what is Dovecot better than Cyrus ?

Thx
J.Karliak

[QUOTE=josefkarliak;26725]Hi,
thanks for the answer - but : WTF why ???
Cyrus imapd is used worldwide, why this jump to the blackhole? In what is Dovecot better than Cyrus ?

Thx
J.Karliak[/QUOTE]

That was not an easy decision, but with planning a product for a life time of 10+3 years we had to take a decision which solution should be picked for SLES 12. One reason was the feature set. For example dovecot supports maildir, has cluster support included, backup can be done without stopping the server and many other. Very important is also the maintainability. Dovecot is actively developed and doesn’t have as many security issues as cyrus. Last but not least it is already used by many users and companies.

If you are interested in how to migrate from Cyrus to dovecot there is documentation available for that:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus

[QUOTE=cyberiad;26840]That was not an easy decision, but with planning a product for a life time of 10+3 years we had to take a decision which solution should be picked for SLES 12. One reason was the feature set. For example dovecot supports maildir, has cluster support included, backup can be done without stopping the server and many other. Very important is also the maintainability. Dovecot is actively developed and doesn’t have as many security issues as cyrus. Last but not least it is already used by many users and companies.

If you are interested in how to migrate from Cyrus to dovecot there is documentation available for that:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus[/QUOTE]

Hi,
thanks for the answer.
I tried Dovecot on the machine (PC with trial SLES12). I had there cyrus builded from src.rpm and some mails. My mail has about 8000 mails in the inbox and about 20 000 emails in others folders. As a client we use mostly Squirrelmail. Loging to the Squirrelmail to cyrus was nicely fast.
I migrated to the dovecot by the cyrus2dovecot script, changed type of the imap server cyrus->dovecot in the Squirrelmail’s config and tried to log in… Stopped cyrus, started dovecot…
Loging to dovecot is too slow, Apache2 process takes 99% of the CPU, minimum disk I/O. After 90 seconds (PHP limit) isn’t a web page completed. - EDIT - I FOUND THAT I’VE SOME CONFIG ISSUES WITH SIEVE, AFTER DISABLING “AVELSIEVE” PLUGIN IN SM A PAGE IS OPENED QUICKLY. I MUST SOLVE THAT, MY MISTAKE

So it is a fast (very fast) comparsion of the cyrus/dovecot on the same machine. Cyrus’s config is fast and easy, configuring dovecot takes more time.
Anyway - I didn’t found that cyrus2dovecot could not import to dovecot sieve script. Seen/sub are OK, I tested it, but user’s sieve scripts ?

We’ve 3000 of the mailboxes in the cyrus, sizes (quota) is about 1GB, and each user has thousands of the mails (we also have an account with 220 000 mails in inbox and in the mail archive on another server we’ve 590 000 emails) It is reality.

And at the end one note - cyrus is live too, after that years it may’ve evolved to very stable. Issues ? Aren’t they fixed ? Or what they aren’t ? Dovecot may’ve issues too, of course repaired. All programs are made by humans, that make mistakes :slight_smile:

So what are real cons for us and usefull reasons to migrate to dovecot ? Cyrus is made on the college and they’ve more mailboxes than us :). Of course, we plan to create cluster, I’ve tested 2 node “cluster” with drbd+ocfs with cyrus. So is it more easy with dovecot ? Do you’ve some whitelist or study ? I’ve found some comparsion, cyrus is quite better about speed :
https://www.os3.nl/_media/2012-2013/courses/rp2/p54_report.pdf

Just asking, If anybody has some experiencies he can share :slight_smile:
Thanks and best regards
J.Karliak