SMT Staging Documentation / HOW-TO???

Does anyone have any more documentation for configuring the SMT to use staging repos? Section 4.3 of the Subscription Management Tool Guide provides 2 pages but doesn’t elaborate on how to allow certain patches in test and others in production. It also doesn’t go into any detail on how to configure clients to talk to either test or production repos.

For example, what I would like to do is patch my test servers against the most recent patches available on Sunday and then patch my production servers against the same repo the next Sunday. If needed I’d like to be able to exclude patches that may have cause a problem during that week of testing. I thought it would work something like this…

1. Toggle staging on for the repo I’m patching against
  2. Create a snapshot from full mirror to testing
  3. Have all patches available and patch the test servers against the testing snapshot
  4. Uncheck problem patches from test and then mirror that to production
  5. Patch prod servers against that snapshot repo

I’m guessing this is not how it works since I’ve been unable to get this to work. Any pointers, assistance or further documentation would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

jb9509,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

Hi

A good place to start is the SMT master TID

In there you will find a link to the deployment guide How to Use the Subscription Management Tool for SUSE Linux Enterprise 11. On page 19 I described staging. You will probably need to look at TID 7005187 - Configuring signing of staged repositories with SMT once you have it set up.

Hope this helps.

//Andreas