sugguestions

Hello,

I have some suggestions for improving the experiences and usage of SLED. I hope the developer could see their users’ wishes

(1) The latest SLED 12 SP3, probably also including all the 12 version, uses so called “composite” desktop manager. This feature disabled Nvidia 3D stereo effect which is extremely important for professional design in various fields including biology, chemistry, physics, gaming, to name a few. I am very curious about why this feature has been disabled? Wouldn’t it be good to use a reasonable desktop manager facilitating the Nvidia stereo mode?

(2) There are not enough application depositories for the SLED 12 SP3. For instance, the “Science” depository is unavailable. Many Python libraries are missing as well in the depositories. Bumblebee is not available either. Would it be good to fulfil these gaps? Many Linux users are working on Science and these libraries would be extremely important for their work.

(3) Nowadays it is very common that the Intel CPU has a poor GPU. This is a pain in the ass for professor users. Normally they only use dedicated graphic card such as Nvidia M2000. Many users have to spend a lot of time to install proper driver such as Bumblebee. I noticed that, Ubuntu can deal with this easily. It can automatically disable the poor Intel GPU and enable the Nvidia GPU during installation steps. It simplify their users’ life a lot. Wouldn’t it be good also introduce this in SLED? I believe most users are expecting this for a long time.

Thank you very much.

Albert

[QUOTE=albumns;40312]Hello,

I have some suggestions for improving the experiences and usage of SLED. I hope the developer could see their users’ wishes

(1) The latest SLED 12 SP3, probably also including all the 12 version, uses so called “composite” desktop manager. This feature disabled Nvidia 3D stereo effect which is extremely important for professional design in various fields including biology, chemistry, physics, gaming, to name a few. I am very curious about why this feature has been disabled? Wouldn’t it be good to use a reasonable desktop manager facilitating the Nvidia stereo mode?

(2) There are not enough application depositories for the SLED 12 SP3. For instance, the “Science” depository is unavailable. Many Python libraries are missing as well in the depositories. Bumblebee is not available either. Would it be good to fulfil these gaps? Many Linux users are working on Science and these libraries would be extremely important for their work.

(3) Nowadays it is very common that the Intel CPU has a poor GPU. This is a pain in the ass for professor users. Normally they only use dedicated graphic card such as Nvidia M2000. Many users have to spend a lot of time to install proper driver such as Bumblebee. I noticed that, Ubuntu can deal with this easily. It can automatically disable the poor Intel GPU and enable the Nvidia GPU during installation steps. It simplify their users’ life a lot. Wouldn’t it be good also introduce this in SLED? I believe most users are expecting this for a long time.

Thank you very much.

Albert[/QUOTE]

Hi Albert
Query/suggestion (2) is already covered by Package Hub: https://packagehub.suse.com/ it’s just a matter of getting maintainers to submit/maintain etc.

I know https://packagehub.suse.com since 2 years ago, since you have mentioned this before.
However, there are not so many scientific software there. For instance: PyMOL, CCP4, Gromacs, openBabel, to name a few, are all missing in this repository. Many essential libraries for Python are also missing. However, all of them are available in openSUSE package sites…

regards

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;40316]Hi Albert
Query/suggestion (2) is already covered by Package Hub: https://packagehub.suse.com/ it’s just a matter of getting maintainers to submit/maintain etc.[/QUOTE]

Hi
So you need to approach the maintainers and ask it they will a) if
available in openSUSE Factory/Tumbleweed b) push to Backports and
maintain…

Of your candidates, openbabel, gromacs and python[2,3]-pymol just need
pushing along with supporting packages.

For libccp4, maybe it’s a licensing issue with the libs…? But again it
would need to be pushed to Factory/Tumbleweed for legal review.

The actual ccp4 suite is a commercial license so would not be
distributed…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I agree with Albert and had some discussions with both manager and developer at SUSE.
Customer focus is neeed. However, the last 2 years SUSE made a big step ahead compared to what I faced when I started.

However: SUSE 12.3 is LEap 42.3 and you can download much software from there.
Put the depositories on priority 100 or disable them. It works.

Hi
There is lots of SLE compatible software on OBS, but unsupported if you
do. If it’s pushed to Package Hub then it won’t interfere with any
support issues…

Else if you have a problem and wish to raise a Support Request, then
until you remove all the OBS software and duplicate your issue the SR
would more than likely be closed…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.3|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.104-39-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!