SUSE 12 - systemctl vs service

Backgroud: Running SUSE 12 on Vmware, Installed Galera-Mysql

My question is that there seems to be a conflict or something weird with the mysql init.d script in how it gets executed.

i.e. - running it through service or systemctl appears to have strange results, or at least results that don’t jive with what is expected. options not being accepted etc…

running it directly /etc/init.d/mysql executes as expected or as it would if on SUSE 11
I also checked and there is no mysql.service in the /etc/systemd/system, wondering I try creating one if it would work. There is a the SYSTEMD_NO_WRAP=1 in the init script, but I think that’s just to send errors to std out.

Is there something I can do to correct this or just keep running it direct /etc/init.d/mysql ?

Thanks

Hi
Did you also check in /usr/lib/systemd/system for a service file?

Else just create a simple systemd service in /etc/systemd/system, see;
http://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?t=5937 for an example.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.36-38-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks Malcolm

The service file didn’t exist in the alternate location either, but that brings me to another question: How is service or systemctl trying to run mysql if the service file doesn’t exist ? Service might use the init.d script to start but I see the same errors as if I were it was run using systemctl. Do all service commands get sent to systemctl somehow ?

[QUOTE=cisaksen;26454]Thanks Malcolm

The service file didn’t exist in the alternate location either, but that brings me to another question: How is service or systemctl trying to run mysql if the service file doesn’t exist ? Service might use the init.d script to start but I see the same errors as if I were it was run using systemctl. Do all service commands get sent to systemctl somehow ?[/QUOTE]
Hi
If you look in at the /usr/sbin/rc* files, most are just softlinks to /usr/sbin/service so maybe there is a rcmysql file?

Yes, they all get forwarded to systemctl (systemd) if the init script has ‘SYSTEMD_NO_WRAP=1’ that is apparently the standard wrapper for any initscript that is using [open]SUSE API.

On 19/02/2015 16:04, cisaksen wrote:
[color=blue]

Backgroud: Running SUSE 12 on Vmware, Installed Galera-Mysql[/color]

Since you’ve posted in one of SUSE’s Server forums presumably by “SUSE
12” you mean SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 12?

Where did you get Galera-Mysql from? Note one of the changes with SLES
12 is that MySQL has been replaced by MariaDB - see
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-316482

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

On the Galera Site.

http://releases.galeracluster.com/sles/12/x86_64/ You can add this a repo and it works just fine.

Yes I know SLES 12 switched, but doesn’t mean that you have too. MySQL is still available and runs just fine on SUSE 12. We are currently looking at MariaDB but it’s on a long list and low priority. Our Drupal site started on MySQL and unless there is really a critical need to change it, it will stay on MySQL at least for the forseeable future.

Hello,

the MySQL Community Repos for SLES12 are already published, the repos for MySQL Enterprise in the next days.

Best regards
Christian