SUSE Subscription on HDS (Hitachi) LPAR

Hi,

I have a question related to SUSE subscription on HDS - Hitachi server under LPAR. We brought SLES for SAP x86 1-2 sockets with unlimited VM subscription and try to activated on 4 LPAR. There is a warning mentioned “Overused Subscription” on the SUSE Customer Center page. When scroll down to the hardware information, it show the LPAR detect as Architecture x86_64 Non-Virtualized. Is this suppose to be consider as virtualized? Is there anybody experience the same problem? If so, can anybody please advise how to resolve this problem? Is the SUSE unlimited VM subscription can be used for multiple HDS LPAR or there is other SUSE subscription for this purpose? Really appreciate all your advise. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Harsono

I would probably check with my sales or account representative to be sure
since this may be a technical issue only, but it may also be a licensing
issue entirely and I typically try to get official answers from official
sources (vs. the forums, which are not technically monitored by the
company) in those cases.

Is it safe to assume by LPAR you are referring to a mainframe? I wonder
if the licensing is meant to work on only some virtualization, or
para-virtualization, platforms. Let us know if you find the answer
somewhere else, please.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Hi AB,

Thanks for your replied. We are currently on the process to escalate this to our respective vendor and hope will get the answer soon. LPAR is a logical partition, is a subset of a computer’s hardware resources, virtualized as a separate computer. In effect, a physical machine can be partitioned into multiple logical partitions, each hosting a separate operating system. We used LPAR instead of VMWare since Hitachi provide this feature free of charge. I hope we are not purchased the wrong SUSE subscription since we already paid for 5 years. Thanks again.

Hi harsono1977,

while I’m no lawyer and no SUSE representative, a look at SUSE’s T&C (https://www.suse.com/products/terms_and_conditions.pdf) gives:

So chances are high that it’s mostly a technical problem, where scanning the server didn’t detect the LPAR situation, resulting in a non-VM count.

Regards,
J

Hi J,
Thanks, I also already read the Suse’s T&C and have the same perspective. I hope our partner can find the technical solution for this. Finger cross.

Regards,
Harsono

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;34611]Hi harsono1977,

while I’m no lawyer and no SUSE representative, a look at SUSE’s T&C (https://www.suse.com/products/terms_and_conditions.pdf) gives:

So chances are high that it’s mostly a technical problem, where scanning the server didn’t detect the LPAR situation, resulting in a non-VM count.

Regards,
J[/QUOTE]