Tomcat 6: java.io.IOException: Failed to access resource /WE

Hello community,

I posted my problem on http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/problems-with-tomcat6-cannot-access-tomcat-manager-firewall-blocks-port-8080-a-4175591495/ but there, I was told this is a Novell/Suse specific problem, so I’m hoping to find some experts here.

I did a clean install of OES2015 (which basically just is an SLES with a few Novell/Micro Focus addons), and I want to use tomcat6.

Tomcat6 is working fine, apart from one error message I find in the catalina.out.

The error reads:

java.io.IOException: Failed to access resource /WEB-INF/lib/[taglibs-core].jar

Does anyone know what that means and how I can get rid of it? Probably an easy one for an SLES expert, but for me (coming from the Windows world), it’s hard to understand this error / find a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Have a wonderful day!

Peter

Hi
Are the file permissions/ownership correct for the jar files?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;34862]Hi
Are the file permissions/ownership correct for the jar files?[/QUOTE]

I apologize for my incompetence, but I don’t really know, coming from a Windows world, I’d still call myself an absolute beginner…

I checked all the links from /WEB-INF/lib/[taglibs-core].jar, which is a cascade of symlinks over like 6 or seven files/links. But all the symlinks, including the “real” .jar file which is the “final destination” of the mentioned cascade of symlinks, have the same permissions/ownership.

Owner is root, permissions for owner are read/write, for group “root” it’s read only and for “others” it’s read only as well. No permission to execute the file.

I don’t know if owner should be “tomcat”, but on the other hand, I once again have to mention that this is a clean install and I didn’t mess with any file permissions, so the permissions should be set correctly during installation, right?

Anyway, tomcat6 works perfectly, even though there is this error message. But being someone who doesn’t like error messages, I still would like to get to the bottom of this, just out of curiosity.

Maybe I also have to add that this is not a production server but just a virtual machine in a testing environment, so if you need me to try anything to find the cause, just go ahead, I can always reset the virtual machine to an earlier state if I mess anything up. :slight_smile:

Hi
AFAIK as long as the jar files are readable, should be fine.

Maybe something missing in the policy file or a missing file the jar
file is looking for?

You could also browse/post over in the OES forums (My Tomcat
exposure/experience is limited to SUSE Manager) as there maybe something
more specific to OES integration, https://forums.microfocus.com same
username/password.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;34878]Hi
AFAIK as long as the jar files are readable, should be fine.

Maybe something missing in the policy file or a missing file the jar
file is looking for?

You could also browse/post over in the OES forums (My Tomcat
exposure/experience is limited to SUSE Manager) as there maybe something
more specific to OES integration, https://forums.microfocus.com same
username/password.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the hint, I did just that, let’s see what the people over at Micro Focus have to say:

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/500866-Tomcat6-error-java-io-IOException?p=2442291#post2442291

Cheers, Peter

Hi
Looking in SUSE Manager tomcat WEB-INF/lib directory I do see the files
(softlinks) owned by user tomcat and group tomcat as well as the
directory ownership. The files linked to are owned by root:root.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!