Upgrade SLES11 SP3 VM to SLES12 on Citrix Xenserver 6.5

Hi,
upgrading a VM with SLES11 SP3 to SLES12 on Citrix Xenserver 6.5 SP1 with booting from ISO ends up with a not booting VM. I think the problem is that during the upgrade SLES seems not to see that the system is a VM with Disk /dev/xvda etc. and shows them as /dev/hda etc. Then it tries to install the bootloader in /dev/hda which works without errors, but then the VM doesn’t start anymore. Any hints? The second described method in Deployment Guide (7.4.2 Page 116) didn’t also not work for me.

Hi vsaadmin,

I’m far from a XenServer expert… is that a para-virtualized guest or a HVM? The xvd* naming seems to imply the former, while SLES using hd* makes me think if the VM appears to be a HVM from SLES’ point of view…

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;28609]Hi vsaadmin,

I’m far from a XenServer expert… is that a para-virtualized guest or a HVM? The xvd* naming seems to imply the former, while SLES using hd* makes me think if the VM appears to be a HVM from SLES’ point of view…

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

SLES11 SP3 is para-virtualized and a fresh installation of SLES12 works fine, ending up as para-virtualized with /dev/xvda devices. Only the upgrade process seems to have the problem.

Hi vsaadmin,

ok, I see. Are you in a position to open a service request? The SUSE engineers will know where to look in the logs, to spot the root cause of this. I’d expect that debugging this remotely via forums will not be easy.

Regards,
Jens