Upgrading SLES 11 SP1 -> SP2 boot issues

Yesterday I updated my SLES 11 SP1 servers to SP2 via wagon. Things seemed to go just fine, until it rebooted. It only got partially through the boot process then failed when trying to mount my partitions similar the issue that emanuele_lombardi had. When starting up, I would get the following error:

Waiting  for device /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Virtual_HD-part2 to appear: ...................Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Vritual_HD-part2

I took a look at what the new system thought things should be named and got this:

mkm@mx2:~> ls -l /dev/disk/*
/dev/disk/by-id:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Mar 30 04:00 edd-int13_dev80 -> ../../sda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 edd-int13_dev80-part1 -> ../../sda1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 edd-int13_dev80-part2 -> ../../sda2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Mar 30 04:00 scsi-14d53465420202020b55ea4cb396d4f479b0d96f7d7d3752e -> ../../sda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 scsi-14d53465420202020b55ea4cb396d4f479b0d96f7d7d3752e-part1 -> ../../sda1                                                   
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 scsi-14d53465420202020b55ea4cb396d4f479b0d96f7d7d3752e-part2 -> ../../sda2                                                   

/dev/disk/by-path:                                                                                                                                                  
total 0                                                                                                                                                             
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Mar 30 04:00 scsi-0:0:0:0 -> ../../sda                                                                                                    
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 scsi-0:0:0:0-part1 -> ../../sda1                                                                                             
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 scsi-0:0:0:0-part2 -> ../../sda2                                                                                             

/dev/disk/by-uuid:                                                                                                                                                  
total 0                                                                                                                                                             
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 0a3ba838-c9c2-4c9c-8c0e-f941ff31ec2d -> ../../sda1                                                                           
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 30 03:59 cf563634-01fa-4684-95ee-53a361074009 -> ../../sda2

Pretty ugly, no? No sigh of ata-Virtual_HD anywhere.

Anyway, to fix this, I gleaned some clues from emanuele_lombardi’s post and did the following:

mkdir mkm
mount /dev/sda2 mkm
cd /mkm/boot/grub

I then edited device.map, replacing the line that said
(hd0) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Virtual_HD
with
(hd0) /dev/sda

and changed menu.lst thusly:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.13-0.27-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Virtual_HD-part2 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Virtual_HD-part1 splash=silent crashkernel=128M-:64M@16M showopts vga=0x31a
to
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.13-0.27-default root=/dev/sda2 resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent crashkernel=128M-:64M@16M showopts vga=0x31a

After that it booted up fine. I’m posting so if anyone else has a similar issue they have an easy way to fix it. I spent way too much time on it!

A couple of other quick notes: there is no editor (that I could find) when I was dropped to the $ prompt after the partitions failed to load. After I mounted the sda2 manually I was able to edit the files with vim but had to pass the whole path, i.e. /mkm/bin/vim-normal FILENAME. vim was in ‘dumb as a beach-rock’ mode, but it worked. Naturally I copied the target files to a safe location before editing them, just in case.

Also, I’m running my host as a virtual client on Hyper-V. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but there it is.

It would have been nice if the process had changed the partition references automatically, but oh well. Things seem to be back up and running. It may be that I should change the /dev/sda to /dev/disk/by-uuid, I don’t know.

Kevin,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

Kevin Miller wrote:
[color=blue]

Yesterday I updated my SLES 11 SP1 servers to SP2 via wagon. Things
seemed to go just fine, until it rebooted. It only got partially
through the boot process then failed when trying to mount my
partitions similar the issue that emanuele_lombardi had.[/color]
[color=blue]
Things seem to be back up and
running. It may be that I should change the /dev/sda to
/dev/disk/by-uuid, I don’t know.[/color]

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the feedback. There are still some issues with upgrading
via wagon, as we know.

Novell/SUSE are working to identify the cause(s) but in some cases it
is not obvious. If you or anyone else who encounters similar problems
have maintenance and would like to help resolve this issue, please open
a Service Request with Novell Technical Services. The more information
we can provide to them the easier it will be for them to isolate the
cause and provide a fix.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are using the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…