Wireshark installation on SLES 11 (x86_64)

Hi,
I am trying to install wireshark on my SLES 11 machine. So far I have downloaded the wireshark rpm and have added a few suse repositories to zypper but to no avail.

Please help.

Thank you.

You should not need to download any rpms or add any repos. wireshark is included in SLES 11 SP3.

foo:~ # zypper packages | grep -i wireshark | grep -v SDK | SLES11-SP3-Pool | wireshark | 1.8.6-0.2.1 | x86_64 | SLES11-SP3-Updates | wireshark | 1.8.11-0.2.1 | x86_64 | SLES11-SP3-Updates | wireshark | 1.8.8-0.2.1 | x86_64 | SLES11-SP3-Updates | wireshark | 1.8.9-0.2.5 | x86_64 foo:~ #

Can you post the output of

$ cat /etc/SuSE-release $ zypper lr -u
When posting command output it’s best to wrap it in CODE tags for readability (look for # button in toolbar when composing post).

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Posting the outputs of the commands:

cat /etc/SuSE-release

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1

zypper lr -u

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | URI

–±--------------±----------------------±--------±--------±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | tmpRPMcache | Plain RPM files cache | Yes | Yes | dir:///var/cache/zypper/RPMS

Also, output of # cat /etc/issue

Welcome to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 for VMware (x86_64) - Kernel \r (\l).

So you’re running an End Of Life version of SLES for VMWare with no (useful) repositories configured. Do you know how this situation comes to be?

With SLES for VMware your licensing comes along with your VMWare licensing. Do you have a SLES for VMWare activation code you can use to register this machine? If you register the machine you’ll get the relevant repositories configured as part of the process and you’ll then be able to install wireshark with

$ zypper install wireshark

Though you will still be running an EOL version.

Just looked at http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/sles-for-vmware/ and their ‘Download Now’ link goes download SP2, which seems unhelpful given how long SP3 has been out. The isos for SLES 11 SP3 for Vmware are at http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=bYhqJ0n91C8~ you only need DVD1.

Please note that this is the SLES for SAP Applications forum and not a general SLES Applications forum.

HTH.