How to mount a ntfs disk (read-only is ok)

On a Windows 10 box, so far I start RancherOS either by CD or USB stick. I can ssh into this box from a different box on my network, it has internet access, so pull and run hello-world works fine, I can define a simple Dockerfile via vi, build and run the new container.

In order to proceed I’d like to import lots of complicated setups saved from an EC-instance to the Windows box running RancherOS. This is what I see:

[rancher@rancher /]$ ls /lib/modules/4.9.0-rancher/kernel/fs/
9p          btrfs       cifs        fat         isofs       nfs         nfsd        quota       xfs
autofs4     ceph        configfs    fscache     lockd       nfs_common  nls         udf

Looks like ntfs is not supported.

[rancher@rancher /]$ sudo fdisk -l | grep NTFS
/dev/sda1  *       2048   1026047   1024000  500M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2       1026048 156299263 155273216   74G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb1            2048 116303871 116301824 55.5G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb2       116305920 117227519    921600  450M 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
/dev/sdc1  *      128 3917823 3917696  1.9G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

We see 2 SSD disks and the USB stick here.

[rancher@rancher /]$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/d
mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/d failed: No such file or directory

Ok, missed one step.

[rancher@rancher /]$ mkdir mnt/d

[rancher@rancher /]$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/d
mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/d failed: No such device

This error tells me that ntfs most probably is the reason for failure. How can I add ntfs support?

Another approach or rather workaround would be to fetch things from EC2 directly as it would be good to be able to use those disks anyway. The second disk is basically empty now, just used as an example, so this disk is a good candidate to later install RancherOS there, I guess. Even then usage of disk 1 would be fine.

It looks like there is no solution to this problem at the time. So I just formatted that 2nd disc for use with RancherOS. This disc is owned by root, and as root I can write to this disc.

Just for your information: I downloaded all my container data from EC2 with sftp and get -r and made sure that everything works as expected, except docker-compose.

I understand that this is a concept alien to RancherOS, so I have to learn the equivalent concept specific to RancherOS.

Again, I installed rancher/server and rancher/agent, which did not succeed this time with error message “no space left on device”, most probably due to the stuff I downloaded from EC2.

This is the time to make use of my disc. I made sure that I have a valid public key and added this information to /var/lib/rancher/conf/cloud-config.yml.

Nevertheless, the install command failed:

[rancher@rancher ~]$ sudo ros install -c cloud-config.yml -d /dev/sdb
> INFO[0000] No install type specified...defaulting to generic
> FATA[0000] Failed to copy cloud-config                   cloudConfig=cloud-config.yml

I guess I should close this topic and open a new one instead, as this is a totally different problem.