Add Host to vmware vsphere hangs

When I “Add Host” in Rancher v0.63.1 using the vmwarevsphere driver it creates the VM on vSphere 5.5 and starts it. However in the Rancher GUI it hangs saying "Creating , Setting Up machine, Creating Machine " in Rancher and never comes back.
Any ideas?

Can you provide the rancher/server logs for when you launch the host? Hide any sensitive information.

Also, can you confirm that the docker-machine command that you find from the logs can be launched through docker-machine with no issues?

I can’t seem to find any good log messages from the server but This is what I see when I run docker-machine from the same box that has the Rancher Server:

[root@ny-dock-reg-npd01 ~]# docker-machine -D create --driver vmwarevsphere --vmwarevsphere-username=root --vmwarevsphere-password=****** --vmwarevsphere-vcenter=X.X.X.X --vmwarevsphere-hostsystem=X.X.X.X --vmwarevsphere-disk-size=10000 --vmwarevsphere-datastore=EXT_STORAGE3 --vmwarevsphere-datacenter=“X.X.X.X” --vmwarevsphere-boot2docker-url=https://releases.rancher.com/os/latest/ranch
Docker Machine Version: 0.6.0, build e27fb87
Found binary path at /usr/local/bin/docker-machine
Launching plugin server for driver vmwarevsphere
Plugin server listening at address 127.0.0.1:33642
() Calling .GetVersion
Using API Version 1
() Calling .SetConfigRaw
() Calling .GetMachineName
(flag-lookup) Calling .GetMachineName
(flag-lookup) Calling .DriverName
(flag-lookup) Calling .GetCreateFlags
Found binary path at /usr/local/bin/docker-machine
Launching plugin server for driver vmwarevsphere
Plugin server listening at address 127.0.0.1:38646
() Calling .GetVersion
Using API Version 1
() Calling .SetConfigRaw
() Calling .GetMachineName
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .GetMachineName
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .DriverName
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .GetCreateFlags
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .SetConfigFromFlags
Running pre-create checks…
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .PreCreateCheck
(ny-rancheros-test03) DBG | Connecting to vSphere for pre-create checks…
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .GetConfigRaw
Creating machine…
(ny-rancheros-test03) Calling .Create
(ny-rancheros-test03) Downloading /root/.docker/machine/cache/boot2docker.iso from https://releases.rancher.com/os/latest/rancheros.iso

Message from syslogd@ny-dock-reg-npd01 at Mar 24 10:40:01 …
kernel:unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1
(ny-rancheros-test03) 0%…10%…20%…30%…40%…50%…60%…70%…80%…90%…100%
(ny-rancheros-test03) Generating SSH Keypair…
(ny-rancheros-test03) Creating VM…
(ny-rancheros-test03) Uploading Boot2docker ISO …
(ny-rancheros-test03) Reconfiguring VM…
(ny-rancheros-test03) Waiting for VMware Tools to come online…

And it just hangs there.

Can you confirm that you are trying to launch RancherOS?

Yes, I"m using this url to grab rancherOS :
–vmwarevsphere-boot2docker-url=https://releases.rancher.com/os/latest/rancheros.iso

docker-machine --debug create --driver vmwarevsphere --vmwarevsphere-username=xxxxx
–vmwarevsphere-password=xxxx --vmwarevsphere-vcenter=xxxxx
–vmwarevsphere-hostsystem=xxxxx
–vmwarevsphere-disk-size=10000
–vmwarevsphere-datastore=‘EXT_STORAGE1 (1)’
–vmwarevsphere-datacenter=“xxxxxx”
–vmwarevsphere-boot2docker-url=https://releases.rancher.com/os/latest/rancheros.iso ny-rancheros-test07

The docker VMvSphere does not support RancherOS, only supports boot2docker.

I would love it too support RancherOS, but there are better solutions coming or out there specifically from VMWare:

VIC and Photon

Is this possible to fix? I looked in the docker-machine code and it didn’t look hard to add it. B2D username/password is hardcoded though. How are we supposed to run rancheros instead of b2d in production for example? Do we have to create custom hosts? I like that when we create the hosts via rancher ( api ) it will also remove the hosts when we delete the environment so we don’t have to handle all the cleanup ( Databases etc is enought to cleanup :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’ve been using Docker-machine to create vbox and vmware (workstation) RancherOS boxes for at least 0.9 and 1.0 - so I presume you mean something needs to be modfied in the esxi machine driver?